Tian-ying Zhao received her undergraduate and graduate education in Canada. With more than 15 years’ experience in IP law, she works on both contentious and non-contentious matters, and her practice has a particular focus on trademark portfolio management, trademark oppositions and invalidations, enforcement of trademark rights and copyrights, and dispute resolutions. She counsels mostly overseas clients, including many multinational corporations, and impresses her clients with her insightful analysis of the situation and thoughtful advice on legal strategies. Ms Zhao is currently a partner at IntellecPro.
Ms Zhao has represented:
- the rights holder of a popular children’s animation to enforce its trademark rights, copyrights and merchandising rights through oppositions and invalidations, and civil and criminal proceedings;
- a world-renowned medical service provider to enforce their trademark rights and trade name rights through administrative actions;
- an Australian winery in a trademark dispute with a Chinese competitor, defending the winery’s rights over its house mark in trademark invalidation, trademark cancellation and civil litigation;
- a multinational tobacco company in a criminal case against a large criminal gang engaged in manufacturing and exporting counterfeit cigarettes;
- a European liquor brand and a US machinery producer to obtain well-known mark recognition in two opposition court appeals;
- a US fashion brand to remove a pirate mark in a non-use cancellation court proceeding by establishing that the pirate forged evidence of use;
- a Chinese furniture maker in a design patent infringement suit lodged by a major competitor, and helped the client win the case after successfully invalidating the competitor’s design patent;
- a Chinese IT company to settle with a Spanish corporation over a worldwide trademark dispute that involved 75 oppositions in 10 jurisdictions; and
- a Canadian online game company in a negotiation with a Chinese pirate to recover its house mark.
Sample client list
- Dell, Entertainment One, Harry Winston, Heineken, Josef Chromy, Mayo Clinics, The Behemoth
9 Chegongzhuang Dajie
See firm profile