at Anand and Anand
Pravin Anand, the managing partner of Anand and Anand, is a preeminent IP lawyer with 40 years’ experience. He has been awarded the AIPPI Award of Merit and recognised as the “Most Innovative Lawyer” by the Financial Times.
Mr Anand has represented numerous clients before various forums and was recently involved in the following:
- Patent lawsuits that transformed the pharmaceutical and bio-technology enforcement regime in India, including Merck v Glenmark; Roche v Cipla; the Monsanto case; and a large number of other suits on behalf of Pfizer, BMS and AstraZeneca, among others.
- India’s first anti-anti-suit injunction order (InterDigital v Xiaomi); India’s first software patent lawsuit conferring protection (Ferid Allani case); the development of a damages culture in large number of cases that recognised not only punitive, but compensatory, exemplary and aggravated damages (Philips v AmazeStore); India’s first post-trial standard-essential patent judgment (Philips v Bhagirathi); development of unique remedies, such as the “Tree Planting Order” (Merck case); and an order benefitting adolescent girls (Hermes case).
Mr Anand is the co-author of Halsbury’s Laws of India on IP and a large number of chapters in international IP publications, including Life Sciences IP Review, The IP Review and Bloomberg BNA’s Life Sciences Global Guide. He also serves on the editorial board of CTLR, PLC – Life Sciences, Asia IP and The Patent Lawyer, and is a regular speaker on IP matters.
Spreading the message of intellectual property
Mr Anand has devised unique ways to spread IP awareness. Some of his path-breaking initiatives outside courts are:
- The Raj Anand Moot Court Competition since 1997;
- ‘Anaryst’ – an IP Board Game;
- ‘Brainchild – the first IP-themed play;
- Adventures of Mr. IP – an IP Comic; and
- IPONOMICS – a coffee table book.
- Ex-member, INTA Board of Directors
- Past president of the Indian groups of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property, the Asian Patent Attorneys Association and the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys
Anand and Anand
B - 41
Nizamuddin East New Delhi 110013
See firm profile