at Deriş Attorney-At-Law Partnership
Okan Çan represents market-leading companies in the protection and enforcement of IP rights. His expertise extends to IP litigation, IP strategy, transactional intellectual property, technology licensing, data privacy and publicity rights.
Mr Çan has achieved notable results in IP disputes. He has represented:
- a leading technology market player in an extensive project for licensing its standard-essential patents;
- a multinational firm in complex multi-jurisdictional IP litigation, achieving one of the highest compensation awards for an IP conflict in Turkey;
- a multinational tobacco firm during the acquisition of the IP assets of the Turkish state monopoly; and
- a leading multinational firm for which he secured the first trademark registration for a colour per se in Turkey.
By invitation of the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office in 2016, Mr Çan participated in and actively worked with the commission established for the preparation of the new Turkish IP Code, which entered into force on 10 January 2017. He also participated in the IP Code discussions before the related commissions of Parliament, before the code was enacted.
He is currently the chair of the Sub-committee of INTA’s Anti-Counterfeiting Committee.
Mr Çan frequently speaks at IP conferences, including on:
- IP, privacy and internet issues in Turkey at Stanford University, Palo Alto in 2015;
- Trademark Highlights of the Year 2015 and the INTA Roundtable in 2016;
- image and celebrity rights in sports at Kadir Has University, Sports Law Centre in 2016;
- the new IP Code at a conference held by the Turkish Ministry of Customs and the European Union in 2017;
- resolving IP disputes through the WIPO alternative dispute resolution, on behalf of WIPO, at an international conference in Istanbul in 2017.
His recent publications include:
- “Anticipated Changes Pave Way to New Environment”, IAM Yearbook 2017 (co-author);
- “Major Changes To The Trademark Law 2017” (IPKat blog); and
- “New Practice: Mediation in Trademark Oppositions”, International Law Office.
Mr Çan is listed in the IAM Patent 1000, IP Stars, Legal 500, Chamber and Partners and WTR 1000 2016-2018 in the gold tier for litigation and enforcement.
- Istanbul Bar Association
Deriş Attorney-At-Law Partnership
Inebolu Sokak 5
See firm profile