at Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
May Cheng is a certiﬁed IP law specialist (trademark/copyright) and a senior partner in Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt’s IP group in Toronto. She has over 25 years’ experience advising clients on all aspects of IP protection and enforcement, including branding strategy, licensing and anti-counterfeiting. She is regularly involved in litigating trademark disputes and a wide variety of IP infringement cases, including Anton Piller injunctive proceedings to curb counterfeiting. Ms Cheng has acted as an expert consultant to the government of the Bahamas in redrafting its IP legislation to make it compliant with international treaty obligations for ascension to the World Trade Organisation.
Ms Cheng has been recognised in Canadian and worldwide rankings, including:
- Chambers Canada 2020: Intellectual Property;
- Lexpert Zenith Award: Celebrating Mid-Career Excellence, 2018;
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2019: Most Frequently Recommended, Intellectual Property;
- WTR 1000 2019: gold ranking for enforcement and litigation; silver ranking for anti-counterfeiting;
- Managing Intellectual Property – Top 250 Women in IP 2018 and 2019;
- Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars 2014-2019; and
- The Legal 500 2019: Recommended Lawyer, Intellectual Property.
Ms Cheng has actively volunteered for a wide variety of legal community and social causes and has served for a decade on INTA committees for anti-counterfeiting and famous marks. She is a frequent contributor to teaching and writing in the IP field, and chairs the Law Society of Ontario’s annual programme. Her mentoring and charitable work also earned her the Women’s Law Association of Ontario’s President’s Award in 2016 and she was inducted to the Honours Society of the University of Ottawa in 2014.
Sample client list
- Dentsply Sirona
- Hugo Boss AG
- National Women’s Hockey League
- The Paleo Diet Inc
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
100 King Street West
1 First Canadian Place
Toronto ON M5X 1B8
See firm profile