Harley I Lewin
at McCarter & English LLP
Harley I Lewin has over 40 years’ experience protecting IP rights across the world. A leader of McCarter & English LLP’s fashion, design and luxury goods team, he executes unique global strategies across all forms of products, locations and media. He works directly with governments, law enforcement agencies, courts and customs authorities in more than 75 countries to implement new and cost-effective methods to protect clients’ assets. Mr Lewin leads litigations and international arbitrations relating to IP rights and international licensing disputes.
- won the decision in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals for shoe designer Christian Louboutin, upholding a single colour as a valid trademark and preserving Louboutin’s red sole mark;
- won an international arbitration for a luxury designer against a then-terminated French fragrance company;
- is involved in protecting a Japanese athletic footwear company against counterfeits in South America;
- is guiding actions in Brazil against large-scale counterfeiting of US footwear;
- is guiding actions in Chile against large-scale importation of illegal footwear;
- is directing a multinational investigation regarding parallel trade of French brands’ fragrances through unauthorised global sellers;
- is guiding anti-counterfeiting efforts in Asia regarding global pharmaceutical brands’ products;
- won six cases consecutively with local counsel before the China Patent and Trademark Office against a global pirate’s effort to register and oppose the client’s trademarks;
- developed a unique strategy for luxury goods companies to take down auctions of unauthorised products on over 88 global auction sites;
- coordinated a three-country customs effort in Latin America to interdict the flow of counterfeit goods;
- conducted multi-district litigation for multiple watch brands, seizing more than 800,000 watches and $1 million in cash; and
- is guiding multiple brands’ efforts to protect brands and trademarks against misuse and theft in the social media sector.
At any one time, Mr Lewin is working in over 30 countries. He is routinely sought as a legal authority, appearing on Good Morning America, CNBC, CBS 60 Minutes, MSNBC and CNN International.
McCarter & English LLP
825 Eighth Ave 31st Floor
New York NY 10019
See firm profile