Ana Paula Affonso Brito
Ana Paula Brito is a seasoned IP litigation lawyer who became a partner at the firm in 2011. Over the past 20 years, Ms Brito has gained extensive experience in complex IP litigation matters before the Brazilian federal and state courts for domestic and international clients; she has been leading one of the firm’s litigation teams since 2018. Her practice focuses on IP litigation, with an emphasis on patents, trademarks, copyright, domain names, designs and unfair competition law, assisting clients in different fields of activity and technology, including pharmaceuticals, telecom, house appliances, crop science, cosmetics, fashion, food, mechanical, oil and gas, machinery and software.
Ms Brito’s practice includes:
- evaluating potential litigation risks;
- collaborating with corporate departments to review and advise on litigation strategies;
- developing solutions and litigation strategies;
- handling and monitoring a variety of complex litigation matters; and
- representing plaintiffs and defendants in IP litigation across the country.
Ms Brito has a master’s in intellectual property and innovation from the Brazilian Patent and Trademark Office Academy (2010) and a postgraduate diploma in digital law from the Getúlio Vargas Foundation (2002). She also holds a postgraduate diploma in intellectual property from the Rio de Janeiro State University School of Law (2006) and a law degree from the same university (2000).
Ms Brito actively participates in national and international IP associations and is the author of many articles in her area of expertise, including:
- “Judicial Remedies against Excessive Delay in BPTO Examination”, Lexology, August 2019;
- “Trade Dress Protection in Brazil – A Glimpse at the Beverage Market”, AIPPI, October 2019;
- “Brazil Patent Law: Judicial Patent Invalidation”, Patent Trademark Blog | IP Q&A, November 2019;
- “Damages for IP infringement – a true deterrent?”, Lexology, March 2020; and
- “IP Update – Limitations on Tire Remolding Activity in Brazil”, Lexology, September 2020.
Ms Brito has been repeatedly recognised as a leading practitioner by the most renowned national and international guides, including WTR 1000, IAM Patent 1000, The Legal 500 and Leaders League.