The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise
Bronze - Individuals: prosecution and strategy
Vanessa Harrow is head of trademarks at Novagraaf United Kingdom. She is a qualified UK chartered trademark attorney, having completed her training in 2017 while at Novagraaf. Ms Harrow focuses on advising clients on their trademark and design portfolios, conducting pre-filing clearance searches, responding to official actions from the UK Intellectual Property Office (UKIPO) and the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO), and handling offensive and defensive opposition, cancellation and litigation actions. Ms Harrow leads the Novagraaf trademark business in the United Kingdom, working from the Manchester and London offices.
Ms Harrow is a law graduate from the University of Sheffield and obtained a master’s in intellectual property from the University of Manchester. Prior to qualifying as a trademark attorney, Ms Harrow worked as a trademark secretary and paralegal.
Ms Harrow has also built up considerable experience in negotiating and drafting multi-jurisdictional settlement agreements, auditing trademarks portfolios in order to streamline rights and fill gaps in protection, and overcoming substantive objections at the EUIPO and UKIPO in the automotive, consumer goods and consumer business sectors.
Her specialist areas of expertise include trademark registration and portfolio management and trademark portfolio audits. Ms Harrow works with clients in a wide range of industries, in particular in the cosmetics and personal care, drinks/beverages, fashion and textiles, material sciences and packaging design sectors.
A NovumIP company, Novagraaf is an international trademark and patent consultancy that advises clients on IP strategy and management, alongside the effective day-to-day handling of clients’ IP portfolios.
The firm’s expertise includes advising clients on the protection of new ideas and inventions, and on developing strong brands and/or innovative new products through trademarks, patents, designs and other forms of IP rights.
Clients include innovative start-ups, organisations operating at a regional or national level, and multinationals with a global portfolio of strong brands and innovative technologies.
As the largest service provider of its kind in Europe, Novagraaf offers clients unrivalled scale, strength and operational excellence.
Spread across 17 offices in Europe, Asia and the United States, Novagraaf works on a broad spectrum of strategic IP issues, employing a consultancy-based approach that enables the firm to gain a more in-depth understanding of clients’ business needs.
A distinguished history
With more than 130 years of experience, Novagraaf has a long and distinguished heritage in the IP field and is constantly innovating to provide clients with tailored and intelligent solutions to help them to protect, manage, enforce and exploit their IP rights worldwide.
The firm remains today the European Union’s leading representative: it has the most trademarks under management at both the EUIPO and WIPO, and it represents five of the top 11 Patent Cooperation Treaty filers.
A NovumIP company
In 2019 Novagraaf joined forces with PAVIS to create NovumIP, the new alternative global IP service provider.
As a NovumIP company, Novagraaf continues to drive its clients’ business success by combining excellence in business-focused legal consulting with efficient IP services and smart technologies. The combined group has a united team of 380 IP specialists and a flexible, full-service approach to the entire IP life cycle.
Services across the IP life cycle
Highlight trademark services include the following:
- Brand strategy development – legal and commercial analysis designed to help clients to develop a registration and enforcement strategy, and provide strategic insight to company board members and financial stakeholders.
- Trademark portfolio management – proactive day-to-day portfolio management to help companies to track and manage budgets, resources and suppliers, while ensuring rights are kept up-to-date and safely maintained.
- Trademark searching – the first step in the registration process, Novagraaf’s trademark search examines all relevant trademark registers to identify identical and similar trademarks.
- Trademark registration – local management of the formal requirements of the trademark and design application processes to identify conflicts and secure registrations, including the management of oppositions.
- Trademark watching – automated monitoring of new trademark applications for infringement, provided with advice where required, ensuring oppositions are filed and prosecuted in a timely manner.
- Online brand protection – one of the key challenges facing businesses today is how to establish and execute effective online brand protection strategies without expending valuable in-house time and resources. Novagraaf’s new online brand protection services help businesses to meet that ‘more with less’ challenge by integrating and automating monitoring and enforcement to take the pressure off in-house teams. Novagraaf also provides complementary offline anti-counterfeiting and customs recordals services.
- Trademark renewals – a wide range of tech-enabled trademark, design and domain name renewals services, so clients can choose the frequency and level of support that best meets their needs. Novagraaf also provides a leading patent annuity service, drawing on the same high quality of procedure, technology and global network, irrespective of case volume or IP management system.
- Audit and benchmarking – IP portfolio health checks, including assessments of validity, strength and use/usefulness to a business, as well as competitive benchmarking of approach and budget.
- IP recordals – full management of the documentation and procedures required to process updates to a chain of title in global IP offices. A dedicated attorney with knowledge of local laws and regulations will oversee the successful completion of such projects.
- EasyIP – an easy-to-use web portal that provides clients with a single access point for all their trademark portfolio management and information needs, including budgeting. The IP management tool is provided to clients free of charge.
The following languages are spoken at Novagraaf: Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Romanian and Swiss-German.