The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise
Silver - Individuals: prosecution and strategy
Silver - Individuals: enforcement and litigation
“Dedicated, responsible and possessing very good technical legal knowledge, they have a perfect knowledge of the Indian IP laws, and of the local practices.” The acclaim garnered by RNA Technology and IP Attorneys can be easily justified by its first-rate one-stop shop for brand owners across the globe. Established in 2004 and currently housing a team of 42 professionals, it provides pragmatic and cost-effective solutions to complex issues. Boasting a fully fledged trademark practice on both the contentious and non-contentious front, the outfit, spearheaded by Ranjan Narula, has grown quickly into a reputed IP establishment in the country. The firm’s founder heads up the IP consulting practice and is active in the trademark contentious space, regularly appearing before courts and tribunals for litigious matters. With a flair for trademark prosecution and portfolio management matters, head of the prosecution practice Rajiv Suri has a wealth of experience safeguarding IP rights for clientele from a wide spectrum of industries, including pharmaceuticals, healthcare, hospitality, real estate, e-commerce and fast-moving consumer goods.
Ranjan Narula founded specialist IP law firm RNA in 2004 and is now its managing partner. He has 30 years’ post-qualification experience working on contentious and non-contentious IP and technology issues. Mr Narula has been practising as an advocate and patent attorney since 1991 handling a wide range of IP, IT and technology matters, including IP management issues, strategic advice on IP clearance, acquisition and enforcement. Domain name disputes, data privacy, trade secrets and technology transfer issues focusing on the digital environment are also part his practice.
Mr Narula has worked in-house and in private practice, including at an international IP law firm heading its India operations. In 2019 Mr Narula was invited to join the INTA Board of Directors. He currently serves on a number of board committees, such as the India Global Advisory Council and Emerging Issues Subcommittee with a focus on artificial intelligence.
Mr Narula has been ranked as a leading IP practitioner by various publications, including WTR 1000, IP Stars (Managing IP), WIPR leaders, Who’s Who Legal and Top 100 Asia IP Experts in India. Mr Narula is regularly invited to speak by universities and chambers of commerce on IP issues. He has authored several articles and papers on key IP issues published in IP magazines and blogs such as IAM, World Trade Mark Review, Bloomberg, Lexology and IP Kat.
RNA Technology and IP Attorneys is a full-service IP firm. We were established in 2004 with the objective of providing pragmatic and cost-effective solutions to legal problems that IP owners face in relation to protection, enforcement and commercialisation of IP rights. Our services are modelled on the roles and responsibilities of in-house counsel so that our objectives and those of our clients are one and the same. The RNA team comprises trademark attorneys, researchers, patent agents, paralegals and IP investigators working seamlessly as a coordinated team. Our 42 professionals include five partners, 20 lawyers, seven paralegals, seven researchers and investigators that provide complete IP solutions as a one-stop shop for all IP needs. Our patent team is supported by of counsels and a team of 16 engineers, as well as researchers and technical specialists in diverse technical domains that we can call on based on the nature of the assignment.
RNA has won the trust of a number of Fortune 500 companies around the globe. In its 17-year journey the firm has developed a strong clientele across diverse business segments including life sciences, IT, electronics, consumer and luxury goods, petrochemicals, apparels, sports and fashion. We manage substantial enforcement, IP filing and prosecution work in Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives. Our extensive IP experience, ever-deepening IP knowledge and close relationships with local lawyers and investigators enables us to take effective actions in these jurisdictions.
We regularly advise clients on the best and cost-efficient course of action available to them in enforcing their rights, keeping their business objectives in mind. This includes identifying the most germane courts for initiating legal action, assessing suitable viable action. While drawing a complete picture for our clients, we offer offering varied alternatives related to any strategic decision that needs to be taken by them in pursuing a remedy.
Our awards and accolades include:
- WTR 1000 2019 Silver Band category – IP protection in India for enforcement and litigation;
- WTR 1000 2020 and 2021 firm and individual – Ranjan Narula and Rajiv Suri;
- Asia IP – India Trademark Firm of the Year, 2018;
- Asia Law – Notable IP Firm, 2019;
- Asian Legal Business’s IP Rankings – Tier 2, copyright and trademark category, May 2018
- MIP – IP attorneys ranked in Tier 2, trademark and contentious category, 2018;
- MIP – Rachna Bakhru named a Patent Star and Ranjan Narula named an IP Star, 2016, 2017 and 2018;
- Legal Era – Best IT and TMT Law Firm of the Year 2016;
- Asia IP – Ranjan Narula, Rachna Bakhru and Rajiv Suri listed among Top 100 IP Professionals, India
- Top 250 Women in IP – Rachna Bakhru recognised, 2017 and 2018;
- Puma Award for Best Trademark Firm, 2019;
- Award for Outstanding Achievement and Service, 2019;
- Pyramid Award – Unilever and Baker McKenzie for Best Contentious Firm; and
- Leaders League Intelligence Report and Directory Series – Rajiv Suri rated as an Excellent and Highly Recommended Lawyer in Trademark Prosecution and Litigation, 2017, 2018 and 2021; and
- MIP – Rajiv Suri ranked as a Recommended Prosecution Lawyer, 2019.
Why choose RNA:
- RNA offers clients timely responses with pragmatic and cost-effective solutions. Our clients are at the heart of our services. We focus on getting to know our clients well, working collaboratively with them and focusing on practical results.
- Our in-house investigation team ensures a quick turn-around and protection of sensitive information.
- We are professional and friendly, recognising the need to be flexible, open-minded and creative in all areas of business.
- We invest and nurture the talents and ambitions of each member of our team. Our success rate is 90% in interim injunctions and final judgments.
- We are completely transparent with our billing and open to work on alternative fee arrangements based on client requirements.
- We effectively use technology to provide clients a superior means of access to information through online databases and bespoke reports.
- We enjoy our work and strive to create balance.
We care passionately about the communities in which we operate. Our teams are involved in several initiatives to improve the lives of others and undertake pro bono legal projects.