The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise.
Gold - Firms
Solid gold in intellectual property, OLIVARES is distinguished by its depth of senior talent, its decades of experience at the cutting edge of trademark protection and its ability to create brand value and promote business activity. Among the firm’s most experienced trademark experts is Alonso Camargo, who stands apart from the crowd with his in-depth knowledge of both Mexican and European trademark systems. Other eminent minds include Daniel Sanchez, a leading specialist in contentious administrative proceedings; versatile Abraham Díaz, who co-chairs the litigation team, data privacy practice and IT industry group; Alejandro Luna Fandiño, a top patent and regulatory expert who also litigates trademark cases; and Sergio Olivares, a thought leader in all areas of intellectual property.
Our mission at OLIVARES is to provide innovative solutions and highly specialised legal advice for clients facing the most complicated legal and business challenges in Mexico.
OLIVARES is continuously at the forefront of practice area innovations related to:
- intellectual property;
- plant varieties;
- domain names;
- digital rights; and
- internet-related matters.
The firm has been responsible for precedent-setting decisions in relation to patents, copyright and trademarks.
In trademarks, the firm leads, not just in raw numbers, but in unparalleled enforcement and regulatory success, representing some of the world’s biggest and most well-known brands.
The trademark team at OLIVARES developed a comprehensive hub service to provide support for clients throughout Latin America and is the only firm to be ranked in the top tier in trademark services across the most reputable legal rankings publications.
The firm’s patent practice has been responsible for at least 20,000 fillings in the past decade, positioning itself as one of the leaders in the Mexican market.
Our firm is committed to developing the strongest group of legal professionals to manage the level of complexity and interdisciplinary orientation that clients require. During the first decade of the 21st century, the team successfully led efforts to reshape IP laws and change regulatory authorisation procedures in Mexico, not only through thought leadership and lobbying efforts, but also by winning landmark and precedent-setting cases at the Mexican Federal and Supreme Court levels, including in constitutional matters.
Today, the team at OLIVARES includes nine partners and more than 45 associates working across IP, regulatory, administrative, civil and commercial litigation and corporate law, serving many different industries, and the firm is constantly awarded for excellence in legal service.
We aim to utilise every available resource to help clients achieve optimal results, protecting their business interests, intellectual property and other rights, at every level, and through the applicable administrative or judicial venue, in order to maximise successful outcomes – all while maintaining an overarching goal of contributing to Mexico’s broader stance in the global economy and for the greater good of the Mexican people.
Our firm stands apart from others in Mexico:
- in shaping the IP and regulatory landscape;
- in serving as a model for the industry, with the development of unique solutions that become the standard of service;
- in the breadth of knowledge and experience of our team, in the more than 52 years of our practice;
- in implementing practice innovations; and
- in prosecution and litigation success, when it matters most, with more benchmark decisions in intellectual property and more filings than nearly any other firm in the jurisdiction.
Our vision is to shape the legal environment that opens Mexico to the greatest innovations the world has to offer by:
- providing exceptional legal services that result in client growth and business success;
- creating an atmosphere where lawyers, technical experts and staff work together on solutions that lead to brilliant achievements; and
- inspiring improvements to the legal landscapes in Mexico that foster economic progress.
The core values that constitute our ethos are:
- responsibility; and
Our practice areas cover:
- corporate, commercial and business;
- licensing, tech transfer and franchising;
- IP litigation;
- civil litigation and commercial litigation;
- alternative dispute resolution;
- anti-piracy, anti-counterfeiting and enforcement;
- regulatory law and administrative law; and
Dedicated industry groups
The firm specialises in:
- life sciences;
- entertainment; and
- new technologies and data privacy law.
Other client industries
We also operate in the following industries:
- media, sports and entertainment;
- information technology;
- food and beverages;
- chemicals, biotechnology, medical devices, nanotechnology, life sciences, plant varieties and agrobusiness;
- electronics, luxury goods, clothing, jewellery, cosmetics and perfumery;
- metals and mining;
- containers and packaging;
- household products;
- hotels, restaurants and tourism;
- banking, finance and insurance;
- oil and gas; and
- construction, real estate, machinery, tools and metals.