The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise.
Bronze - Firms: enforcement and litigation
Gold - Firms: prosecution and strategy
Encompassing everything from filing, prosecution to enforcement and litigation, NTD Intellectual Property Attorneys is redefining what a one-stop IP service really means – more than 60 trademark attorneys and 50 lawyers are dedicated to each stage of the brand cycle. “NTD Intellectual Property Attorneys are very diligent and professional. They have a depth and breadth of knowledge of Chinese intellectual property laws. What we find most impressive is that they can take complex legal concepts under local China law and explain it to us very simply and easily to convey the important concepts, so we can make business decisions based on legal dynamics.” The much-praised trademark section is spearheaded by Christopher Shen and Aidi Ge. Shen is a New York-China dual-qualified lawyer and very comfortable with dispensing valuable counsel to multinationals in courtrooms. Ge joined in 1996 and has since established a fearsome reputation in tackling difficult trademark matters in the country for Fortune 500 and blue-chip companies. She enjoys full support from partner Ying Hong, who specialises in brand protection and IP strategic advice. With more than 20 years’ experience as an IP practitioner, she has orchestrated multiple trademark prosecution and administrative litigation schemes for a wide array of domestic and international players. Completing the line-up on the contentious front are seasoned litigator Lily (Fengxi) Fu and Nathan (Ning) Yang, both of whom received rave reviews. “Lily is very experienced and always has creative ideas to solve problems. I am impressed by her and her team’s great professionalism and diligence.” “Nathan distinguishes himself from his peers in a number of ways – he is a very skilled attorney on his own and offers a wealth of experience before the China Courts and Arbitration Panels and Trademark Office. He is always available to discuss important matters with his clients and overall, a very trusted advisor among overseas clients.”
Established in Hong Kong 1987, NTD is the only private one of the earliest four Chinese IP firms licensed by the government to provide IP services for foreign clients. As one of the leading IP firms in China, NTD has more than 500 professionals and support staff, including 184 patent attorneys, 63 trademark attorneys and 51 lawyers. We have offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, as well as liaison offices in Silicon Valley, Tokyo and Munich.
Each year we handle:
- more than 9,000 new patent filings and more than 14,000 office actions;
- more than 20,000 trademark opposition, invalidation and review cases;
- more than 200 investigation and Administration for Industry and Commerce actions; and
- more than 400 IP lawsuits.
We are a full-service IP law firm that can meet all our clients’ diverse IP needs. Our services include:
- patent prosecution and invalidation;
- trademark registration, opposition and cancellation;
- copyright and domain name registration;
- anti-counterfeiting investigation;
- administrative raid action;
- IP litigation;
- customs protection;
- IP searches and analysis;
- watch services;
- IP consultation;
- IP licensing and assignment; and
- contract dispute arbitration.
We provide services in Chinese, English, Japanese, German and French.
Our patent attorneys cover a broad range of technical fields, including computer science, networks, telecoms, electrical engineering, semiconductors, optics, mechanical engineering, automotive technics, machinery, environment engineering, material science, biotech, pharmaceuticals and chemistry, among others. We have 73 litigation patent attorneys who represent clients before the courts in patent-related litigations.
Our competitive edge
- One-stop IP service – we can provide services in all areas of IP-related matters.
- Stable team of professionals – more than half our attorneys and paralegals have worked at NTD for more than 15 years. The same team continually works for the same client.
- Teamwork based on strategic thinking – attorneys in patent, trademark and legal teams work closely, always standing in our clients’ shoes and targeting their core values.
- Wide coverage of technical areas and deep comprehension of complicated technologies – our attorneys continue learning new technologies and can fully understand the technical difficulties in patent prosecution, invalidation and litigation.
- Reliable management system – the IP management system developed from our years of practice help to avoid human errors.
- NTD IP Institute – we have an internal institute for training and academic research updating our people on the latest legal developments.
Our goal is to be a reliable service provider in the area of IP law, enabling clients to handle their IP affairs in China efficiently and simply, while simultaneously maximising clients’ legal interests and minimising their costs.
Awards and honours
- Patent Litigation Firm of the Year 2021 (Asia IP);
- Licensing and Franchising Firm of the Year 2021 (Asia IP);
- Ranked Tier 1 for trademark prosecution and strategy (WTR 1000 2021);
- Recommended firm for Chinese patent prosecution in (IAM Patent 1000 2021);
- Recommended firm for Chinese patent prosecution in (IAM Patent 1000 2020);
- Ranked Tier 1 for trademark prosecution and strategy (WTR 1000 2020);
- Chinese Trademark Administrative Litigation Agency Top 10 (IP HOUSE 2020);
- Chinese Patent Administrative Litigation Agency Top 10 (IP HOUSE 2019);
- Chinese Trademark Administrative Litigation Agency Top 10 (IP HOUSE 2019);
- Ranked gold for trademark prosecution and strategy (WTR 1000 2019); and
- Recommended firm for Chinese patent prosecution (IAM Patent 1000 2019).
Commitment to the public
NTD is also committed to public services and our staff members are actively involved in various public service activities. We have made donations to help those affected by serious disasters – not only in China, but also in other countries. Legal services are provided free of charge to some institutes, the disabled, students and other individuals.