The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise.
Gold - Firms
“Neal Gerber & Eisenberg’s ability to address trademark and business needs is unparalleled. Partnering with the best foreign associates, it oversees successful international trademark prosecution and protection efforts while providing in-depth analyses and insightful recommendations on strategy. In disputes, it represents parties vigorously while constantly exploring options to achieve business-sensible resolutions.” The firm has invested astutely in technologies that drive efficiency and lower costs so that it can pass on savings to patrons while giving them full access to its internal docket and to their individual portfolios. It takes a thoughtful approach to staffing, too, and gets more out of its experienced paralegals than its peers, which further fuels its cost effectiveness. The firm also recently created a new IP operations director position to help identify innovative ways to improve the experience of its clients. This is an extremely well-run practice, which has a lot to do with the attentiveness of Thomas McDonough and Michael Kelber, who take the reins. “Tom is an excellent trademark lawyer with a deep knowledge in other fields of IP. He is smart, personable, level-headed, responsive and a go-to for a tidy service and astute advice.” He focuses on prosecution, while Kelber applies highly cultivated advocacy skill in litigation and transactions contexts. Lee Eulgen also brings significant enforcement expertise to the table but is a Swiss Army knife of a trademark lawyer who can do everything. The same is true of Antony McShane, a founder and former co-chair of the IP practice. Sources describe him as “the consummate business lawyer who takes a long-term approach to supporting his clients and driving strategic outcomes, rather than a short-term approach that maximises legal fees”.
Neal Gerber Eisenberg was founded in 1986 by a group of lawyers of widely diverse backgrounds and personalities. Entrepreneurial and independent-minded as individuals, these lawyers were committed to a firm culture and style of practice that encouraged collaboration among colleagues at all levels. Each of the founders brought to the enterprise years of experience in and deep substantive knowledge of specialised areas of law, yet each favoured practising in ways that were broadly interdisciplinary, recognising the fresh perspectives that approach could bring to every client matter.
The firm has grown and thrived in large part because so many of our clients have been strongly entrepreneurial and individualistic and have seen their own values and outlooks mirrored in us. Our clients appreciate that:
- we do not view their businesses generically, but understand the uniqueness of who they are, what they do, and the legal and practical challenges they may face;
- we recognise that a particular strategy or solution for one client may not be suitable for another, even if they operate in similar spheres; and
- we listen, above all.
Our goal is to know the client and the client’s business as thoroughly as possible and bring creative insight to every matter. Knowing what makes each client special is what makes us special.
Neal Gerber Eisenberg is one of the largest single-office law firms in the nation. The scope of our practice is both international and domestic and covers a full range of legal services, including transactions of all kinds, litigation and intellectual property. Our clients include:
- Fortune 100 companies as well as small and medium-sized businesses;
- public companies as well as private equity firms;
- established institutions; and
Personalised service to entrepreneurs and high net worth individuals and families is a keystone of our practice. We also are dedicated to improving the life of our community by working with public service organisations and by making legal services available, pro bono, to those who might otherwise lack access to justice.
For more than 35 years, we’ve succeeded – and helped our clients succeed – by deploying the best legal talent as efficiently as possible, by thinking collaboratively and ‘outside the box’, and by partnering with our clients to achieve the results they desire. At a time when many law firms see themselves as institutions, Neal Gerber Eisenberg continues to hold that rendering legal services is a person-to-person endeavour.
Neal Gerber Eisenberg’s IP team is an integrated litigation and portfolio management group. The practice combines experience in litigation with the management of large, international trademark and patent portfolios into a one-stop shop. Each side of the work informs the other and provides the lawyers insight that allows them to best serve all their client’s IP needs.
The group is also recognised for:
- managing and policing well-known brands, including Euromarket Designs Inc (Crate & Barrel and CB2 retailers), Lettuce Entertain You, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Dine Brands Global (IHOP and Applebee’s Restaurants), CareerBuilder, Viceroy Hotel Group, Montage Hotels & Resorts, GI Sportz and Polaroid;
- trial success enforcing IP rights in collaboration with clients in federal and state courts throughout the country, and before the TTAB and the US International Trade Commission;
- sophisticated patent prosecution and counselling, particularly in the areas of electronic and electro-mechanical devices, computer software, pharmaceuticals, biologics, biotechnology, industrial chemistry, medical devices and gaming systems for well-known clients;
- large IP portfolio management, domestically and worldwide;
- complex technology transactions, including detailed due diligence and opinions regarding portfolio strength and freedom to operate; and
- sophisticated privacy and information governance and security counselling and breach response.