The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive 'go-to' resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise.
Bronze - Firms
With nine offices across Germany and a tenth in the UK, Meissner Bolte has enviable reach across the European market. Over the course of more than a century, the firm has earned itself a stellar reputation, but has never rested on its laurels, continuing to refine and develop its offering in new and exciting ways. Based in Munich and Dusseldorf, Oliver Nilgen comes armed with know-how on trademarks, designs and drug advertising law, and has been busy fighting Gibson on behalf of Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG in a 3D trademark spat. Tobias Wuttke heads up the legal department and also splits his time between Munich and Dusseldorf. Recent highlights include representing Occhio GmbH in preliminary injunction proceedings against Amazon.
Meissner Bolte is one of the leading IP law firms in Germany. For over a century our professionals based in numerous offices across Europe have been advising national and international clients in all areas of intellectual property. From prosecution to litigation and enforcement, we make sure that your ideas remain what they are by nature – unique. Your goals guide our actions to maximise your assets. Our IP recipe is the interplay of passion, commitment and know-how.
At Meissner Bolte we have 70 highly qualified patent attorneys and lawyers with knowledge in the technology, science and legal sectors. We focus on the competencies within our teams and pull together with clients to ensure success. We also boast a number of Japanese and native English-speaking attorneys and specialists to support our international clientele. Thanks to our interdisciplinary teamwork, we have an overview of the entire gamut of IP rights and the legal possibilities of the individual fields of law, such as patent, trademark and design law, to create a powerful and successful prosecution and litigation strategy covering the full spectrum of IP protection.
Our trademark experts are highly experienced in defending and promoting your company and products’ image; whether they are defending your trademarks in opposition or nullity proceedings, or enforcing your rights against third parties to obtain injunctive relief and, ultimately, damages for infringement, they never lose sight of the importance of your name and market presence.
Our experts include the following:
- Tobias Wuttke, head of litigation – Dr Wuttke focuses on the contentious aspects and capitalisation of trademarks. Dr Wuttke received his law degree from the University of Freiburg and clerked for several years as the personal assistant of the presiding judge of the German Supreme Court (trademark senate). He has gained broad experience as the lead counsel in many high-profile trademark cases.
- Oliver Nilgen – Mr Nilgen, specialised IP lawyer, focuses on all aspects of trademark law, design law, media law and commercial law, copyright law and unfair competition law. Mr Nilgen received his law degree from the University of Bremen. He served his legal clerkship with the Dusseldorf Regional High Court. He gained experience through legal internships as assistant to one of the members of the EU Intellectual Property Office’s First Board of Appeal. He develops and manages IP portfolios and enforces and defends IP rights, particularly in infringement proceedings and border seizures. He is a member of the MARQUES Designs Team, the Pharmaceutical Trademarks Group and the German Intellectual Property Rights and Copyrights Association.
Our services include:
- electrical engineering;
- computing and information technology;
- mechanical engineering;
- medical technology;
- chemistry and pharmaceuticals;
- biotechnology; and
- materials science.
Our publications include:
- German chapter in Pharmaceutical Trademarks Guide, published by World Trademark Review;
- “Recent News Patent Litigation – an overview of the German Trial Courts” in Mitteilung der deutschen Patentanwälte, October 2019, pp429 et seq;
- “Best practice in litigation strategies: global perspectives”, World Trademark Review, August 2019;
- Article on German copyright law, Getting The Deal Through, August 2019;
- “The German Inspection Proceedings from a Lawyer’s Perspective”, Intellectual Property Journal, Japan, September 2018;
- “News from Patent Litigation”, in Mitteilung der deutschen Patentanwälte, March 2018, pp107 et seq;
- Review of Decision of the Court of Justice, 24 January 2018 in case C-634/16 P - EUIPO/European Food SA – FITNESS;
- “Uphill battle for protection of 3D confectionary marks”, World Trademark Review, issue December 2017/January 2018; and
- “SMEs And The Patent Challenge”, LES Nouvelles, September 2017.