President and Founder
at AFD China Intellectual Property Law Office
Xia Zheng is president and founder of AFD China Intellectual Property Law Office. She started her IP career in 1987 and has since been actively involved in many areas of IP practice, especially IP strategy, prosecution, post-grant proceedings and IP-related litigation. She has helped clients – from Fortune 500 companies to small start-ups – to successfully obtain IP rights and win patent re-examinations and invalidations, trademark oppositions, reviews, domain name disputes and lawsuits. She also counsels IP rights holders with regard to dispute solutions and legal analysis.
Ms Zheng actively participates in the industry and has been:
- an adviser on IP services to the Beijing Innovation and Entrepreneurship Medium in 2018;
- named a National IP Talent by the China Intellectual Property Administration since 2016;
- named Outstanding Patent Attorney of the Year by the Beijing Patent Attorney Association in 2014;
- named an Excellent Legal Professional by the Beijing Haidian Judicial Bureau in 2012;
- honoured for significant contributions to the Chinese patent and IP industries by the State Intellectual Property Office in 2010;
- elected as director of the All-China Patent Attorneys Association;
- director of the Capital Intellectual Property Services Association; and
- a standing director of the Beijing Patent Attorneys Association.
Before founding AFD, Ms Zheng advanced from department director to general director and partner of an IP firm. Her prior in-house IP work has included patent management, prosecution, foreign filing and analysis. Her industry experience included research work at the research institute relating to catalytic cracking processes in petroleum processing and work at Human Genome Sciences.
Ms Zheng obtained her MSc in organic chemistry and biochemistry from the University of Illinois, her MEn in petroleum processing from SINOPEC Research Institute of Petroleum Processing and her master’s in IP law from Franklin Pierce Law Centre, University of New Hampshire.
AFD China Intellectual Property Law Office
38 Xue Qing Road Haidian District
See firm profile