at Deriş Attorney-At-Law Partnership
Okan Can counsels and represents market-leading companies in the protection and enforcement of IP rights. His expertise extends to IP litigation, IP strategy, transactional intellectual property, technology licensing, data privacy and publicity rights.
Mr Can has achieved notable results in IP disputes. He has represented:
- a leading technology market player in an extensive project for licensing its standard-essential patents;
- a multinational firm in complex multi-jurisdictional IP litigation, achieving one of the highest compensation awards for an IP conflict in Turkey;
- a multinational tobacco firm during the acquisition of the IP assets of the Turkish State Monopoly; and
- a leading multinational firm and achieved the first colour per se trademark in Turkey.
By invitation of the Turkish Patent and Trademark Office in 2016, Mr Can participated and actively worked at the commission established for the preparation of the new Turkish IP Code which entered into force on January 10 2017. He also participated in the IP Code discussions before the related commissions of Parliament, before the code was enacted.
Mr Can speaks at various conferences and he recently spoke on:
- IP, privacy and internet issues in Turkey at Stanford University, Palo Alto 2015;
- Trademark Highlights of the Year 2015 and the INTA Roundtable 2016;
- image and celebrity rights in sports at Kadir Has University, Sports Law Centre 2016;
- the new IP Code at a conference held by Turkish Ministry of Customs and the European Union, 2017;
- IP enforcement case study in a lecture at the World Intellectual Property Organisation’s Ankara University LLM programme, Ankara 2017; and
- Resolving IP disputes through the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) alternative dispute resolution on behalf of WIPO at an international conference in Istanbul, 2017.
His recent publications include:
- “Anticipated Changes Pave Way to New Environment”, IAM Yearbook 2017 (co-author);
- “Major Changes To The Trademark Law 2017” (IPKat blog); and
- “New Practice: Mediation in Trademark Oppositions”, International Law Office.
Mr Can is listed in IAM 1000, IP Stars, Legal 500 and the WTR 1000 2016-2018, in the gold tier for litigation and enforcement.
- Istanbul Bar Association
Deriş Attorney-At-Law Partnership
Inebolu Sokak 5 Deris
See firm profile