International Legal Affairs Manager
at Herrero & Asociados
Mariano Santos holds an LLB from Cantabria University (1999) and a master’s in service management from the Autonomous University of Madrid (2002). He speaks English and Spanish.
Mr Santos has been involved in a wide variety of business development and marketing activities, including:
- client development – working closely with a cross-practice team of partners from other firms in Spain and abroad in order to develop Herrero & Asociados’s portfolio of client relationships worldwide;
- market development – working closely with a cross-practice team of partners from other offices across the European Union in order to develop the firm’s profile and the strength of client relationships in all sectors and industries;
- business development – working closely with the pitch team and partners to respond to business opportunities; and
- product development – working closely with practice group partners in order to develop the firm’s profile and services in different practice areas.
Mr Santos’s practice includes:
- advising on the full range of internet and IT issues, including data privacy, open source software, domain names and keyword advertising;
- drafting and negotiating licences and technology transfers;
- the pre-market clearance and protection of trademarks and new products;
- identifying and addressing IP issues in mergers, acquisitions and restructurings;
- conducting due diligence on the IP assets and risks of prospective business partners;
- advising on international patent and trademark regulatory regimes; and
- measuring market exclusivity by performing patent audits of clients and their competitors.
Mr Santos lectures on:
- trademark, patent and design protection on the master’s in economic services at the Autonomous University of Madrid and the master’s in biotechnology at Aliter Business School;
- IP rights at Francisco de Vitoria University; and
- trademark, patent and design protection and economic valuation at the Superior Institute of Law and Economics, where he is a faculty member.
Herrero & Asociados
See firm profile