SKRINE, one of the largest full-service law firms in Malaysia, has a depth of experience in a range of legal matters that it has acquired over its 54 years of practice. The firm is currently led by 43 partners and has 112 lawyers across its corporate, dispute resolution and IP divisions.
Awards and rankings
- Malaysia Law Firm of the Year (2017) – Asian Legal Business
- Malaysian Law Firm of the Year (2015) – Chambers Asia Pacific
- Malaysian Firm of the Year (2008-2011 and 2013–2017) – Who’s Who Legal
- Malaysian Firm of the Year (2014-2016) – Managing Intellectual Property
- Litigation Law Firm of the Year (2017), IP Law Firm of the Year (2017), Real Estate Law Firm of the Year (2017), Aviation Law Firm of the Year (2017), Energy, Projects and Infrastructure Law Firm of the Year (2017) – Asian Legal Business
- Ranked among the top 100 international arbitration practices (2012-2017) – Global Arbitration Review
- Band 1 firm for corporate/M&A, dispute resolution and intellectual property, projects, infrastructure and energy – Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Band 1 firm for corporate/M&A – Chambers Global
- Tier 1 firm for corporate/M&A, dispute resolution, industrial relations, intellectual property, IT and telecoms, projects and energy and real estate and construction – Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Tier 1 firm for corporate/M&A, energy, infrastructure and oil and gas – IFLR1000
We are the exclusive Malaysian member of Lex Mundi, a network of leading independent law firms in over 160 jurisdictions around the world, and a member for the Pacific Rim Advisory Council, a network of 30 top-tier independent member law firms.
We advise on all aspects of intellectual property, including the following:
- providing advice on registration and selection of trademarks;
- conducting availability searches;
- preparing and prosecuting trademark applications in Malaysia and internationally;
- conducting watch services;
- handling renewals;
- cancelling or opposing grants of registration;
- licensing trademarks;
- conducting acquisitions and assignments of trademarks;
- providing due diligence and audits of trademarks;
- conducting market investigations to detect counterfeits and piracy;
- recording amendments to trademarks, including changes of name and address;
- patents, utility innovations and designs;
- preparing and prosecuting patent, utility innovation and design applications in Malaysia and through associates in other countries;
- providing patentability and availability searches and advice;
- providing advice on patentability of inventions;
- handling renewals of patents, utility innovations and designs;
- handling patent invalidations;
- conducting acquisitions and assignments of patents; and
- undertaking due diligence.
- advising on copyright protection and enforcement;
- transferring copyright;
- licensing copyright;
- preparing statutory declarations for copyright ownership;
- preparing copyright voluntary notification applications;
- liaising with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs on criminal enforcement of copyright;
- trade secrets and confidential information; and
- advising and drafting confidential agreements.
- Licensing and technology transfers:
- licensing trademarks, patents, copyrights and trade secrets;
- drafting and advising on licence, franchise, distributorship, agency and contract manufacturing agreements;
- advising and drafting technology transfer agreements; and
- liaising with the relevant government and regulatory bodies for registration of franchises and other related matters.
- IP litigation:
- advising on all aspects of IP litigation;
- applying for trade description orders;
- conducting litigation involving infringement of trademarks,copyright, patents and designs, including injunctions, Anton Piller orders, Mareva injunctions and other interim relief;
- conducting criminal enforcement of trademarks and copyright;
- conducting passing-off actions; and
- handling licensing, franchising and domain name disputes.
The firm’s IP division also advises on the overall protection and management of IP rights. In this regard, our lawyers act as IP consultants for clients. Our lawyers are qualified advocates and solicitors, as well as registered trademark agents who have rights of audience before various registries of intellectual property, the Registry of Courts and courts in West Malaysia.
SKRINE’s IP lawyers acted as counsel for it (the complainant) in the landmark Skrine.com domain name dispute, in which the World Intellectual Property Organisation’s panel of arbitrators decided in favour of SKRINE and ordered the rightful transferral of the domain name ‘Skrine.com’ to it.