SKRINE is one of the largest full-service law firms in Malaysia and has a depth of experience in a range of legal matters acquired over its 55 years of practice. The firm is currently led by 48 partners and has more than 100 lawyers across its corporate, dispute resolution and IP divisions.
Awards and rankings
- Malaysia Law Firm of the Year (2017) – Asian Legal Business
- Malaysian Law Firm of the Year (2015) – Chambers Asia Pacific
- Malaysian Firm of the Year (2008-2011 and 2013-2019) – Who’s Who Legal
- Malaysian Firm of the Year (2014-2016) – Managing Intellectual Property
- Litigation Law Firm of the Year (2017), IP Law Firm of the Year (2017), Real Estate Law Firm of the Year (2017 and 2019), Aviation Law Firm of the Year (2017), Energy, Projects and Infrastructure Law Firm of the Year (2017), Arbitration Law Firm of the Year (2018-2019), Maritime Law Firm of the Year (2018), and Labour and Employment Law Firm of the Year (2019) – Asian Legal Business
- Ranked among the top 100 international arbitration practices (2012-2017) – Global Arbitration Review
- Band 1 firm for corporate/M&A, dispute resolution and intellectual property, projects, infrastructure, and energy – Chambers Asia-Pacific
- Band 1 firm for corporate/M&A – Chambers Global
- Tier 1 firm for corporate/M&A, dispute resolution, industrial relations, intellectual property, IT and telecoms, projects and energy and real estate and construction – Legal 500 Asia Pacific
- Tier 1 firm for corporate/M&A, energy, infrastructure and oil and gas – IFLR1000
We are the exclusive Malaysian member of Lex Mundi and a member for the Pacific Rim Advisory Council.
We advise on all aspects of intellectual property, including the following:
- providing advice on registration and selection of trademarks;
- conducting availability searches;
- preparing and prosecuting trademark applications in Malaysia and internationally;
- conducting watch services;
- handling renewals;
- cancelling or opposing grants of registration;
- licensing trademarks;
- conducting acquisitions and assignments of trademarks;
- providing due diligence and audits of trademarks;
- conducting market investigations to detect counterfeits and piracy; and
- recording amendments to trademarks, including changes of name and address.
- Patents, utility innovations and designs:
- preparing and prosecuting patent, utility innovation and design applications in Malaysia and through associates in other countries;
- providing patentability and availability searches and advice;
- providing advice on patentability of inventions;
- handling renewals of patents, utility innovations and designs;
- handling patent invalidations; and
- conducting acquisitions and assignments of patents.
- advising on copyright protection and enforcement;
- transferring copyright;
- licensing copyright;
- preparing statutory declarations for copyright ownership;
- preparing copyright voluntary notification applications;
- liaising with the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs on criminal enforcement of copyright;
- advising on trade secret and confidential information issues; and
- advising and drafting confidential agreements.
- Licensing and technology transfers:
- licensing trademarks, patents, copyrights and trade secrets;
- drafting and advising on the licence, franchise, distributorship, agency and contract manufacturing agreements; and
- liaising with the relevant government and regulatory bodies for registration of franchises and other related matters.
- IP litigation:
- advising on all aspects of IP litigation;
- applying for trade description orders;
- conducting litigation involving infringement of trademarks, copyright, patents and designs;
- conducting criminal enforcement of trademarks and copyright;
- conducting passing off actions; and
- handling licensing, franchising and domain name disputes.
The firm’s IP division also advises on the overall protection and management of IP rights. Our lawyers are qualified advocates and solicitors, as well as registered trademark agents who have rights of audience before various registries of intellectual property, the Registry of Courts and courts in West Malaysia.
SKRINE’s IP lawyers acted as counsel for the firm in the landmark Skrine.com domain name dispute, in which WIPO’s panel of arbitrators decided in favour of SKRINE and ordered the rightful transferral of the domain name ‘Skrine.com’ to the firm.
Level 8 Wisma UOA Damansara
50 Jalan Dungun
Kuala Lumpur 50490
- Charmayne Ong Poh Yin, Partner