Simion & Baciu
Simion & Baciu unites a team of seasoned attorneys and counsellors who have the drive and passion to deliver the best results for its clients. With more than 20 years of experience in several complementary areas of the law, our team offers a fresh, business-oriented approach and successfully assists clients time and again.
We deliver the in-depth IP knowledge more commonly associated with boutique IP firms, coupled with the resources and wider commercial perspective of a full-service law firm.
Where necessary, we act in consonance with other legal and tax professionals on transactions with an IP component or projects driven by IP aspects, or team up with dispute resolution professionals to assemble units that provide expert advice and representation either transactional or in disputes and litigation.
Our clients enjoy a major advantage: no matter the complexities that a project involves, our team is likely to have dealt with similar challenges before and can readily tackle any unexplored areas. The team is composed of individuals that have been at the forefront of the developments of Romanian business and legal environment, giving it insightful familiarity with the fundamentals of the local legal system.
The firm promotes a ‘no-one-size-fits-all’ policy, believing in full disclosure of ideas, open debates and tailored solutions for its clients.
We can help across virtually all industry sectors such as automotive, fashion, fast-moving consume goods, gambling, information technology and communication, life sciences, luxury goods, media and entertainment, telecommunications and tobacco, to name just a few. To keep abreast of international developments and trends, we are active members of world-reputed associations such as INTA, the European Communities Trademark Association and MARQUES.
The firm’s practice focuses on:
- intellectual property;
- technology, media and telecommunication;
- data protection and privacy;
- consumer protection and advertising;
- gaming; and
- life sciences.
The firm’s expertise in intellectual property was built over 20 years of passion and hard work in the fields of:
- brands and trademarks;
- trade dress and trade names;
- enforcement and border measures;
- unfair competition;
- trade secrets and know-how;
- copyright and related rights;
- domain names;
- IP transactional, including drafting, negotiation, and management of IP rights, software and trademark licence agreements, franchise and joint venture agreements, assignment agreements, software-as-a-service agreements, white label agreements; and
- IP due diligence.
In short, Simion & Baciu has the know-how and can assist clients with:
- prosecution issues – by clearing, registering and managing trademark and design portfolios, as well as copyright and domain names;
- monitoring of and opposition to conflicting third-party applications;
- IP rights enforcement by taking pre-trial measures and actions, in complex active litigation or at the border, before the Romanian customs officials;
- protection of a company’s business’ interests and dispute resolution; and
- negotiations in transactional matters.
Thus, we assist clients in almost all areas of intellectual property, from trademark/design filing strategies and availability clearance, to administrative procedures before the Romanian Patent and Trademark Office and the EUIPO, as well as large IP transactions, with a focus on licensing, services, development and distribution.
Our IP team frequently helps clients combat the production, distribution and sale of counterfeit goods. We file, pursue and enforce applications for action before the Romanian border authorities, using our domestic expertise and internationally minded/regional focus to design and recommend tailored strategies for the circumstances and needs of each client.
Last but not least, from advertising materials, entertainment concepts to myriads of other types of artwork, and from computer software to technical components, we engage in the complete range of copyright services to protect and enforce original work of authorship.
“Good counsel makes legal complexities look simple”
Simion & Baciu
11 Maior Alexandru Câmpeanu Street