Silva is a leading IP firm in Chile, originally founded in 1990 by Patricio and Juan Pablo Silva on the belief that intellectual property is key to the integral development of the country, with its purpose of protecting and enhancing creativity and innovation. Since then the firm has actively participated in major milestones of change in Chile, both practically and legislatively: driving the establishment and operation of the dispute settlement system of the Network Information Centre of Chile; implementing electronic signatures; protecting geographical indications and designations of origin; and defending against infringements committed by technological means. Silva has a multidisciplinary and expert team that is prepared to answer every client’s needs. Our attorneys are opinion leaders who are frequently consulted on IP issues by the media, as well as by governmental entities. The firm also boasts a strong enforcement department that conducts civil, criminal and administrative actions related to intellectual property and new technologies.
One of Silva’s key strengths is its experience in managing international clients’ portfolios across Latin America and domestic clients’ IP rights across the world. The firm defends its clients’ interests at each stage of administrative and judicial actions, both in Chile and abroad. The firm’s international network consists of specialised and prestigious firms, enabling Silva to act on behalf of its clients anywhere.
A distinguishing factor has been the development of Silvanet, the firm’s unique software that manages and coordinates all facets of IP work, from instructions and docketing to production and invoicing. This comprehensive system integrates data from government entities to ensure quick and automated responses. It also enables clients to access and examine their own IP assets directly.
Main areas of practice
- The firm’s practice areas are related to the core of intellectual property: trademarks – where a wide range of industries, companies and individuals entrust the protection of their brands;
- patents – with an expert team of scientists and engineers working together with attorneys to become one of the most effective patent practices in Chile, already representing 80% of Chilean universities;
- copyright – including protection for software, databases and websites, in addition to traditional works of novelists and filmmakers;
- regulatory – guiding clients to adherence and compliance with rules and formalities of various government agencies and authorities, but also assisting rights holders in making use of their intellectual property in the marketplace by providing strategies and legal advice;
- enforcement and litigation – consistently achieving desired outcomes based on the team’s knowledge and experience;
- corporate and transactional intellectual property – providing consulting and legal services allowing IP rights holders to exploit their rights in Chile in a manner that protects and preserves the clients’ best interests;
- information technology – providing services in domain names and cybersecurity, along with a continued commitment to influencing legislation in favour of clients’ needs;
- entertainment, media and sports – protecting those talents who make it big, for the dreamers on their way to join them and for the companies and conglomerates that distribute the work of actors, musicians, athletes and entertainers; and
- privacy, data protection and access to public information – with an expert team of lawyers ready to plan, audit and draft privacy and general data protection policies for our clients, according to both national and international legal standards. Through a detailed mapping of the corporate process, we outline regulations, contracts and policies related to personal data processing.
Silva advises major national and international companies in the fields of food and beverages, fast-moving consumer goods, finance, telecoms, pharmaceuticals, commerce and industry, among others.
Spanish, English, French, German and Portuguese.