Seiwa Patent & Law
Seiwa Patent & Law is an international patent and law firm located in Tokyo, Japan, handling IP-related matters for associates and clients in the United States, Canada, Europe, China, Korea, Southeast Asia, India, the Middle East and Africa, as well as in Japan.
The firm has approximately 310 members in total, including 100 qualified patent attorneys and eight attorneys at law.
The 15 patent attorneys (eight of whom are attorneys at law) in Seiwa’s trademark and legal departments handle the entire trademark registration process – from the filing of applications to intermediate prosecution, trials and litigation – in addition to domain name registration and disputes and advice in connection with proper protection and utilisation of IP rights.
Through its long years of practice, Seiwa has built an extensive and strong network of foreign partners, and has amassed considerable experience in trademark matters both in Japan and overseas.
Seiwa always gathers the latest information regarding domestic and international law and practice so that it can offer the best and most useful professional services to domestic and international clients.
The main service of the trademark department relates to filing applications for trademarks at IP offices in Japan and overseas, and filing international trademarks based on the Madrid Protocol, as well as the intermediate prosecution thereof, relevant trial proceedings and appellate legal actions. Seiwa also handles the registration of new plant varieties and geographical indications (from 2015) at the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
In addition, Seiwa provides court services for infringement, domain name disputes, legal advice, expert opinions, licensing in connection with trademark rights, copyright matters, unfair competition and plant breeders’ rights.
The firm’s trademark attorneys have diverse backgrounds, as well as extensive experience and expert knowledge, enabling them to provide a high level of trademark-related services for both Japanese and overseas clients. The firm’s professional services include trademark searches, filing and prosecution of trademark applications, defence against infringement and management of trademark portfolios. It also provides useful information on trademark law amendments, important court decisions and geographical indication protection law through its website and newsletters.
Seiwa’s clients include many multinational companies, as well as various major and medium-sized domestic companies, individuals and organisations. The firm represents trademarks for famous brand owners in several fields, including electronics, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, food and beverages, fashion, media and entertainment.
With experience in global trademark portfolio management, Seiwa provides a number of clients with strong, comprehensive global trademark protection strategies.
In addition, for licensing negotiations and infringement actions involving trademarks, Seiwa works closely with the firm’s litigators to provide clients with the most effective representation possible.
- Trademark searches in Japan and overseas
- Preparation and filing of trademark applications and international registrations in Japan and overseas
- Management of registered trademarks in Japan and overseas
- Prosecution of observation, opposition, invalidation, non-use cancellation and appeal cases in Japan and overseas
- Consultation and expert opinions on validity and exercise of trademark rights
- Litigation regarding infringement of trademark rights
- Trademark-based injunctions against the import and export of counterfeit products (border measures)
- Registration, maintenance and protection of domain names in Japan
- Drafting of trademark and copyright-related agreements, including licence agreements
- Legal action against counterfeits
- Advice on effective strategy regarding the enforcement of trademark rights
- Advice on how to build up trademark portfolios to protect clients’ rights and interests cost effectively
- Registration of licences and trademark transfers
Seiwa Patent & Law
Toranomon 37 Mori Building 3-5-1
- Nami Togawa, Partner
Sample client list
- Denso Corporation
- FamilyMart Co
- JXTG Holdings
- JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corporation
- LG Electronics
Other recommended individuals at this firm