Robin Bridge & John Liu
Robin Bridge & John Liu is a full-service Hong Kong law firm founded in 1983, offering services in a variety of legal disciplines and with a strong reputation in intellectual property and litigation. As a law firm with more than three decades of history, we take pride in being able to provide professional services of the highest standard and yet remain competitive and flexible on our charges. We always strive to provide quality representation to our clients by canvassing issues from clients’ perspectives and to provide advice tailored to clients’ specific needs.
Our practice covers all aspects of IP law, including trademarks, copyright, patents, passing off (unfair competition), trade secrets and domain names. Our services include trademark, design and patent prosecution, clearance, filing strategy, portfolio management, enforcement and litigation, anti-counterfeiting (including investigations and raids), transaction and licensing. With our international outlook and years of experience in handling international registrations in mainland China, we are uniquely positioned to advise our clients on the implementation of the Madrid Protocol in Hong Kong, which is expected to take effect in 2022.
Since the establishment of our wholly owned IP agency in Beijing in 2012, we have handled all trademark-related matters in China entirely in-house. To support our Mainland China services, we have Chinese-qualified lawyers stationed both in Hong Kong and in Beijing. Together with close cooperation with law firms in Macau and Taiwan, we provide one-stop services for businesses entering and thriving in the Greater China region.
Our quality practice is well recognised by our clientele, which includes well-known international brands, local Hong Kong companies (both listed companies and small and medium enterprises) and foreign law firms. Our clients operate in various sectors such as luxury goods, jewellery, toys, cosmetics, real estate, telecommunications, and food and drinks. We currently have over 30,000 trademarks under our management. Our clients’ satisfaction is in turn reflected in our position in numerous legal rankings in the IP field.
Some of our recent success stories include the followings:
- Successfully obtaining an injunction, judgment and a substantial costs order in the Hong Kong courts for high jewellery clients against a jewellery manufacturer offering for sale more than 100 items of high-quality counterfeits;
- Successfully obtaining a court order from the Shenzhen courts for a Swiss client against a Shenzhen company for trademark infringement and unfair competition;
- Successfully recovering two domain names for a world-renowned children’s book publisher in the courts in Hangzhou and Quanzhou, China;
- Advising the agents of a word-renowned US artist on various legal, IP, contractual and regulatory issues in organising the artist’s tour in numerous Asian countries;
- Overseeing substantial patent infringement litigations for our local toy client in the United States;
- Advising a local toy company client on the multi-million US dollar sale of its business and IP assets; and
- Successfully tackling a great number of shadow companies (companies with well-known brand names or trademarks as part of their corporate names) in Hong Kong for various clients.
We also routinely advise our client on non-IP matters such as employment, corporate (including shareholders’ disputes), commercial (including drafting and reviewing commercial agreements), real estate and data privacy, among other things. We also provide notarial and attesting service for documents to be used overseas and in China. We are experienced in supporting foreign businesses’ operation in the Greater China region, regardless of the business’ size and stage of business.
Robin Bridge & John Liu
6th and 17th Floors
Emperor Commercial Centre
39 Des Voeux Road
- Anthony Tong, Managing partner