LK Shields is a leading Irish corporate and commercial law firm. Our clients are enterprising Irish and international businesses, financial institutions and public bodies. Our legal knowledge and expertise enable our clients to achieve their business aims and objectives.
We provide partner-driven, accessible and decisive input. Our lawyers combine their depth of legal knowledge with their commercial experience to deliver business solutions to complex legal issues. We add value by providing the highest-quality legal advice in a manner that is commercially focused, tailored to the particular needs of the client and delivered in a reliable, timely and cost-effective manner.
We have excellent relations with the world’s leading law firms, with whom we regularly partner on the Irish aspects of international transactions. We are continually and consistently highly ranked in leading legal publications, including Chambers and Partners, the IFLR 1000, Who’s Who Legal and The Legal 500.
Our IP team is highly regarded in the marketplace. We recognise that making the most of IP assets to create business advantage is a key driver for all businesses.
We have forged an excellent reputation, working with our clients in a diverse range of organisations and industries. Branding is a critical pillar of many of our clients’ businesses, including those in the financial services, food, alcohol, luxury goods and other fast-moving consumer goods markets. We assist in brand creation, registration and maintenance. We manage a large number of memorable trademark portfolios for clients.
Clients in the software and computer technology, media, entertainment and services sectors depend on our lawyers. We help them to identify and secure IP assets.
In the patent-dependent sectors of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical devices, life sciences and manufacturing our lawyers help formulate strategies, litigation, licensing, commercialisation and collaboration deals. We help with compliance and challenges to IP rights in these highly regulated sectors, particularly in patents.
We act for both franchisors and franchisees in documenting their relationships.
Many of our clients have products that are protected by intellectual property. We help them devise and implement programmes to stop counterfeiting, piracy, screen-scraping, cybersquatting, spamming and other infringing acts. We prosecute and defend challenges and disputes and regularly take enforcement actions against infringers.
Our IP team’s experience
- Portfolio management of trademarks, designs and domain names for various household brands
- Advising EU institutions regarding the review and development of European IP and technology transfer policy benchmarked against the United States and Japan
- The migration of IP and technology assets into, through and from Ireland
- Advising leading US multinationals on copyright protection in Ireland and the European Union
- Providing IP product and compliance reviews before new product launches in Ireland
- Advising well-known franchisors on their franchise agreements and operations in Ireland
- Advising on the impact of the EU digital single market
- IP asset licensing, assignment and commercialisation
- R&D arrangements, including in the space technology sector
- Advising on amendments to IP laws, including the Irish Copyright Acts
- Intellectual property in corporate transactions
- Trademark infringement, passing-off and patent infringement litigation
Other legal services for which we are highly regarded
- Capital markets
- Commercial property
- Company secretarial and compliance
- Corporate and commercial
- Corporate restructuring
- Employment, pensions and employee benefits
- Energy and natural resources
- EU, competition and regulated markets
- Financial services
- Gaming and gambling
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Litigation and dispute resolution
- Media and telecoms
- Private equity and venture capital
- Sports law
- Technology, data protection and outsourcing
40 Upper Mount Street
Other recommended individuals at this firm