Garrigues is an international legal and tax services firm that provides business law advice on the main economic scenarios of the global marketplace. Since its creation in 1941, the firm has been noted for its international outlook and innovative nature.
It has a team of 2,000 people of 25 different nationalities. Under a single integrated management team and with the same quality standards, it operates in 13 countries across Europe, the Americas, Asia and Africa through a well-established office and team structure.
All Garrigues professionals share the same hallmarks: empathy with the client, continuous dedication to understanding client needs and strict compliance with ethical standards. These qualities, together with the professionals’ broad experience, training and availability, makes Garrigues one of the most prestigious and professional law firms in the industry. The ongoing training of Garrigues professionals is a strategic value. The firm draws on the services of experts in more than 30 practice areas and industry groups, spanning everything from traditional fields of legal practice to the newest branches of law.
Garrigues is one of the largest international law firms and is among the top law firms worldwide. Our team of experts provides business law advice on the most relevant and complex transactions on the market. Garrigues is consistently ranked as a top-tier firm by the major international directories, including the prestigious international awards of The Lawyer, which crowned it Law Firm of the Year in Iberia in 20016 and 2018.
Garrigues’s IP practice area is a multidisciplinary and multilingual team made up of 40 highly qualified professionals, located in Madrid, Lisbon, Bilbao, Valencia, Alicante and Shanghai. It is globally headed by João Miranda de Sousa, a dual-qualified lawyer in Spain and Portugal and a well-known and respected IP professional. His unique experience in EU trademark and design matters was gained over 13 years in key positions at the heart of the EU trademark system. Carolina Pina heads the Spanish arm of the team. The practice draws on the knowledge, experience, creativity and proactivity of its lawyers, and on the expertise of its technical associates in disciplines such as biochemistry and telecommunications. The practice has developed particularly strong expertise in the areas of EU trademark and Community design prosecution and enforcement. It also excels in providing IP advice on internet-related issues, internet-based social networks, image, privacy and reputation rights. The range of industries that Garrigues represents includes new media entertainment, automotive, telecommunications and media, computers and software, pharmaceuticals, financial and insurance services, biotechnology, energy, fashion and food and beverages.
- a mixture of services combining the management and processing of complex patent, trademark and design portfolios with strategic advice and assistance;
- in-court proceedings regarding the infringement, validity and ownership of IP rights;
- top-quality advice from highly qualified professionals, many of whom come from the most prestigious international IP institutions;
- complete reliability and maximum cost savings in the management of IP portfolios through proprietary technology that efficiently processes patent, trademark and design files;
- a collaborative internet-based platform for sharing and communicating orders and actions with clients;
- seven areas of expertise – trademarks, patents, advertising, designs, unfair competition, copyright and related rights, and image and reputation;
- IP litigation lawyers with experience in developing international procedural strategies who can coordinate with law firms in different jurisdictions;
- assistance and advice in Chinese IP matters through a team of experts located in Shanghai; and
- solid experience in negotiating complex IP rights licences and related agreements.
In 2019 Garrigues was recognised as Intellectual Property Firm of the Year in Portugal by World Trademark Review and Contentious IP Firm of the Year in Portugal by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Joao Miranda de Sousa, Global head of IP practice