FirstLaw PC

FirstLaw PC is a Korean law firm engaged primarily in the practice of IP law. Its practice encompasses all aspects of patents, utility models, designs, trademarks, domain names, trade secrets, licensing, IP portfolio development and management and other IP-related areas. Around 80% of the firm’s clients are multinational foreign companies, while the remaining 20% are domestic clients, including government-run research organisations.

Since its establishment in 1988, FirstLaw has grown to become one of the leading IP law firms actively involved in securing and enforcing IP and related rights in Korea. Over the years, FirstLaw has been called on to handle major legal projects and provide expert services in highly specialised areas. The firm strives to offer personalised services while maintaining close and trusted attorney-client working relationships.

FirstLaw employs about 60 IP professionals, including patent and trademark attorneys and trial lawyers, supported by around 120 engineers and staff members. In line with the globalising trend in patent examination and enforcement, FirstLaw’s professionals endeavour to protect clients’ rights effectively by constantly studying recent developments of IP laws and practice worldwide through, for example, long-term overseas education programmes.

Patent practice group

The patent practice group of FirstLaw is divided into three divisions by technology areas: chemical practice group, mechanical practice group and electronics/IT practice group. The group also has several specialised teams in charge of US, European, Japanese, Chinese and domestic clients to better serve the diverse needs of its clients. Each practice group provides various services associated with patent filing, prosecution, trial, enforcement, licensing and client counselling, management of IP rights, technology transfers, establishment of patent portfolios, etc. FirstLaw’s competent professionals efficiently provide outstanding legal services by virtue of accumulated technical knowledge, information pooling and extensive practice experience. Its patent attorneys and technical specialists are appreciated by their clients for handling their work promptly and accurately.

Trademark/design practice group

The trademark/design practice group of FirstLaw provides all aspects of trademark and design-related services, from trademark and design selection, clearance, prosecution, opposition and litigation, to counselling regarding domain names and dispute resolution. Members of the group have also gained the absolute confidence of their clients through their prompt and accurate services that cover the entire life span of the trademarks and designs, including the development of advertising and brand management strategies, registration and licensing strategies, and risk assessment analysis.

Communication is the cornerstone of FirstLaw’s trademark group, which is headed by an interpreter-turned trademark/design attorney. The group’s robust communication capabilities have helped build a network of trusted trademark and design professionals worldwide; the trademark group also ensures that all of the dynamic needs of its international clients are met, with optimised solutions for each relevant jurisdiction. Over the past few years, the trademark group has significantly expanded and solidified its domestic clientele as well and is known to provide highly strategic and creative solutions for the most complicated trademark issues.

Litigation group

FirstLaw’s litigation group is proud to provide each client with customised, high-quality and efficient legal services with minimum cost based on its cooperation with the FirstLaw patent and trademark practice groups. Such close cooperation gives clients great access to attorneys who have years of experience working in premier Korean law firms and have a in-depth knowledge of wide range of industries and technologies.

Contact details

FirstLaw PC
Dongwon F&B Building
60 Mabang-Ro
Seocho-Ku
Seoul 06775
South Korea

Professional contacts

Other recommended individuals at this firm