Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia
In this knowledge-based age, the protection, enforcement and commercialisation of IP rights are indispensable to economic development. Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia’s IP lawyers are best known for their ability to provide excellent and effective legal services covering the full spectrum of IP practice.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia’s IP practice includes:
- prosecuting applications for the registration of trademarks and patents (eg, inventions, utility models and industrial designs) and applications for issuance of copyright deposits;
- protecting business models, trade secrets and undisclosed information;
- IP commercialisation, including negotiating, drafting and reviewing agreements for licensing and franchising;
- registering technology transfer agreements with the Documentation, Information and Technology Transfer Bureau of the Philippine Intellectual Property Office;
- conducting IP due diligence and auditing IP assets;
- registering food, cosmetics and drugs with the Food and Drug Administration;
- handling administrative, civil and criminal cases on trademark, copyright and patent infringement, as well as unfair competition, dispute settlement and mediation involving IP rights; and
- anti-piracy programmes and IP enforcement cases.
The IP department has the rare ability to directly provide value-added services such as patent drafting and IP litigation without needing to outsource work to external consultants or general litigators. This unique capability allows for prompt, responsive and effective legal services for clients.
While most Philippine IP firms are merely local agents of foreign applicants, Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia takes a more proactive role and has assisted local inventors – particularly those from state universities – to file their patent applications locally and abroad. The firm has also managed patent and trademark application filings in multiple jurisdictions for foreign clients.
The patent practice is not limited to patent filings. Patent litigation is inevitable in patent protection. In this regard, the patent group bridges technical expertise and legal skills in order to formulate effective legal strategies in patent litigation.
The IP department’s patent and trademark portfolio has significantly expanded with the addition of local and foreign clients – representing not only commercial entities, but also educational institutions engaged primarily in technology research and development. Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia handles the patent portfolio of the University of the Philippines – a premier institution of higher learning and the country’s national university – for which the firm deals with patent applications and registrations in the Philippines and other jurisdictions. Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia was recently chosen by the Technological Institute of the Philippines to manage its IP portfolio. The firm is proud to support not only IP commercialisation, but also technological and academic advancement.
The head of the firm’s IP department, Susan D Villanueva, is a co-chairperson of the Advisory Council for Intellectual Property, a committee composed of experts tasked to advise the director general of the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines. Patricia A O Bunye was president of the Licensing Executives Society International (LESI) from 2016 to 2017.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia is consistently ranked among the top IP practitioners in the Philippines and is highly regarded both locally and internationally. Its affiliations include the Intellectual Property Association of the Philippines, the Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Industrielle, the International Trademark Association, the European Communities Trademark Association, LESI, the International Referral Group, MARQUES, the Asian Patent Attorneys Association, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Intellectual Property Association, the Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation Alumni Association and the Intellectual Property Alumni Association. The firm’s other practice areas include litigation and dispute resolution, corporate and special projects, mining and natural resources, energy, tax, trade, telecoms, infrastructure, transportation and public utilities, labour and employment, and family law.
Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia
11th Avenue Corner
Bonifacio Global City
Sample client list
- Cemex Strategic Philippines
- Dole Philippines
- JT International SA
- Nestlé Philippines Inc
- Shell International Petroleum
- United Laboratories Inc