Chang Tsi & Partners
Since 2002 Chang Tsi & Partners has been guiding multinational companies with its expertise in Chinese law and business. Headquartered in Beijing, with branches in finance capital Shanghai, trade capital Guangzhou and other offices in Shenzhen, Hainan, Nanning, Hong Kong, Taiwan and two liaison partners in the United States, the firm has over 300 employees, including 210 lawyers in China.
The guiding principle of Chang Tsi & Partners is to secure clients’ rights in a changing China. Chang Tsi & Partners provides the full scope of services from prosecution to litigation for patents, trademarks, copyright, trade secrets and domain names. The firm has received numerous accolades from Chinese and foreign clients, including Fortune 500 companies. Clients have described Chang Tsi & Partners as “operating at the highest level of sophistication, creativity, and resourcefulness” and “efficient, thorough and practical”. A client notes: “They are the most consistent firm I’ve worked with in terms of accuracy in legal advice, turnaround time, practicality and partnership.”
Chang Tsi & Partners has been:
- Recognised as 2020 China Trademark Firm of the Year by Law Business Research’s IAM and World Trademark Review (WTR);
- ranked as a leading firm by Chambers Asia Pacific (consecutive years);
- recommended as a “Top-Tier Intellectual Property Firm” by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (consecutive years);
- named as a top trademark and patent firm by Managing Intellectual Property (consecutive years);
- awarded the Silver Award for trademark prosecution and enforcement by the WTR 1000;
- named a recommended patent law firm in China by the IAM Patent 1000;
- awarded the Best China IP Firm Silver Award by Leader’s League (consecutive years);
- awarded the Best Intellectual Property Firm in China by China Business Law Journal;
- recognised as one of the highly recommended law firms by Asialaw Profile; and
- nominated as one of the best IP firms in China by Asian Legal Business.
Founding partner Spring Chang was recognised by Chambers Asia Pacific as a Band 1 IP lawyer in China and awarded the “Elite Practitioner” title in intellectual property by Asialaw Profile.
Managing partner Simon Tsi has been ranked as one of the top 15 litigators and top 15 IP lawyers by Asian Legal Business and listed in “The A-List 2018 China’s Top 100 Lawyers” by China Business Law Journal.
Areas of practice
Chang Tsi & Partners is a full-service law firm with a strong reputation in intellectual property and litigation. Its core service covers the enforcement and protection of every type of intellectual property, including trademarks, trade names, domain names, copyright, patents and trade secrets. It also has a growing department which handles M&A, litigation and arbitration, foreign investment, construction and real estate, financing and banking, labour law, anti-dumping and commercial investigation.
Seasoned IP and corporate lawyer Mr Tsi vigorously fights the corner of big-name brands. Recent successes include a crucial win in Under Amour v Uncle Martian regarding trademark infringement on behalf of Under Amour and a victory for Michael Kors in defence of its MK mark. As a “go-to lawyer for prominent transnational companies”, the “exceptionally good” Ms Chang is a wise strategist who adeptly handles registrations and oppositions for Tiffany & Co, Levi’s and Johnson & Johnson, among others.
English, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese
The firm is a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property, INTA, the International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals, MARQUES, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Intellectual Property Owners Association and the European Communities Trademark Association.
Chang Tsi & Partners
6-8th Floor Tower A Hundred Island Park
North Bei Zhan Street
- Hong Kong
Sample client list
- Air China
- Illinois Tool Works
- Michael Kors
- Tiffany & Co
- Under Armour