BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados
BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados is an IP firm founded in August 2011. The firm handles all aspects of intellectual property, including trademarks, patents, copyright, brand protection, IP enforcement, IP litigation, IP licensing, data privacy, and internet and related matters. A leader in the Peruvian IP litigation and enforcement market, BARLAW helps clients such as Honda Motor Co Ltd, Hewlett-Packard Development Company LP, Sporloisirs SA (Lacoste), Nike Innovate CV, The Procter & Gamble Company and Sony Computer Entertainment LLC to design their IP strategy. The firm also has an outstanding prosecution track record, handling complex cases for adidas Group, Chanel SARL, Crocs INC, Guccio Gucci SpA, LVMH Fashion Group (Louis Vuitton Malletier), Nintendo of America INC, The Polo/ Lauren Company LP, Televisa Group and MTV Entertainment – a Viacom Company, among others.
Prior to setting up BARLAW, its founders had worked in the IP department of Miranda & Amado from 2006 to 2011. Adriana Barrera was a partner and Maria Ines Herrera an associate in the firm’s IP practice.
Since 2018 BARLAW has strengthened its leading position in the legal services market with the acquisition of HA PUYO PATENTS & TRADEMARKS, a firm with over 100 years of professional experience in the field of industrial property and regulatory affairs, adding engineers and in-house translators to our staff.
We provide a wide spectrum of services, including:
- registration, renewal, maintenance and monitoring of trademarks, slogans, trade names and domain names in Peru and other countries;
- legal advice, protection and defence in all patent, utility model, industrial design and plant varieties matters;
- software and copyright protection;
- clearance search reports;
- trademark and other IP rights surveillance;
- legal advice on and recordal of change of name, address, licences, assignments, mergers, demergers and acquisitions;
- defence of industrial property rights and copyright, including all aspects of oppositions, appeals, infringement actions, cancellations, nullities and civil administrative actions;
- strategies against piracy and counterfeiting, including IP rights recordal before Customs, investigations, market surveys, test purchases, raids, related legal actions and training programmes;
- dissuasive strategies to cease illicit activities, such as cease and desist letters, negotiations, settlement agreements and undertakings;
- litigation and dispute resolution in civil and criminal cases related to IP matters;
- legal advice on, and drafting and recordal of franchising agreements, licence agreements, technology transfer agreements, coexistence agreements and any contract or agreement involving industrial property elements;
- legal advice on e-commerce and internet issues, such as strategies against piracy and counterfeit through social media and online platforms;
- defence and legal advice on unfair competition, including in relation to marketing and advertising campaigns;
- defence in consumer protection matters;
- regulatory affairs, including assistance with obtaining sanitary registrations for food and beverages, drugs/pharmaceutical products, cosmetics, veterinary products, agricultural products (pesticides, herbicides); and
- private data protection legal advice.
BARLAW’s 45-strong team is made up of two partners, 15 associates and 28 other professionals (paralegals, translators, biologists, engineers, administrative support staff and accountants).
We are fluent in English and Spanish and have a working knowledge of German, Korean and Portuguese.
BARLAW has been recognised as a leading IP firm by different international rankings and magazines such as The Legal 500, Chamber & Partners, WTR 1000, Managing IP’s IP Stars, Benchmark Litigation, IAM Patent 1000, Leaders League, Latin Lawyer, Patent Lawyer and WIPR.
In addition, BARLAW has also received the special recognition by WTR and IAM’s Global IP Awards – Trademark Firm of the Year 2020 and the Managing IP Awards – Peruvian Firm of the Year 2020 and Latin America Firm to Watch in 2019.
Likewise, partners and associates have been extensively recognised in different rankings, including Top 250 Women in IP 2019 and 2020; IP Stars 2019-2020; Latin Lawyer – Specialist Firm Leader 2019, WIPR Influential Women in IP 2019; and Euromoney Women in Business Law Expert Guide.
Our partners and associates are members of numerous professional associations, including:
- the American Chamber of Commerce in Peru;
- the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property;
- the International Anti-counterfeiting Coalition;
- the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property;
- the International Association of Privacy Professionals;
- the Lima Bar Association;
- MARQUES; and
- the Peruvian Association of Industrial Property.
BARLAW – Barrera & Asociados
Avenue El Polo 405
Office 610 Santiago de Surco
Sample client list
- Asics Corp
- Biofarma -Servier
- Conair Corporation
- Epson America
- Ferrero SpA
- Genomma Lab
- Monster Energy
- Nike Innovate
- Teva Pharma