Arnason Faktor is the largest and most specialised IP practice firm in Iceland, with 18 employees and extensive experience and expertise in all fields of intellectual property. Through national and international cooperation, and with a professional team of highly qualified administrative staff, the firm is well prepared to serve both international and domestic clients alike.
Arnason Faktor traces its roots back to 1969 and has been a pioneer in the promotion of IP protection in Iceland ever since. Led by five partners, the firm continues on the path shaped by its founding companies, constantly striving for excellence and evolving to meet the needs of its strong client base and future clients.
We pride ourselves on working with local industries in all fields; we support start-ups and also help companies advance onto the international scene. Our partners frequently lecture in the field of intellectual property at national universities, along with having the pleasure of educating the wider public in IP matters. Our aim is to offer a high-quality IP rights consulting service, including an IP rights-based business development consultancy.
Our professionals are specialised within the legal, scientific and technical disciplines, as well as the humanities. We offer extensive services in the field of intellectual property in Icelandic, English, German and the Scandinavian languages.
IP policing, litigation and due diligence
We assist our clients with any kind of contentious work in the field of intellectual property, including enforcement matters, strategies and preparation of and leading IP cases throughout the litigation process. We have built up extensive experience in the field, which entails seeing cases through all court stages.
We perform due diligence on IP rights for all purposes, including any kind of IP transaction, M&A and IP report for larger corporations, and our specialists advise on licensing and negotiating agreements.
Our patent department boasts four European patent attorneys – all of whom have over 20 years’ experience in the field of intellectual property – and highly qualified administrative staff who can assist clients with pre and post-grant services, as well as analysis and advice, including:
- drafting, prosecution and administration before the Icelandic Intellectual Property Office (ISIPO);
- representation before the European Patent Office;
- oppositions and enforcement of IP rights;
- litigation, including handling of complex supplementary protection certificate matters; and
- validity, freedom-to-operate and infringement opinions.
A dedicated team of trademark attorneys, together with experienced and accomplished administrative staff, provides all services in the field of trademarks worldwide, including:
- registration and prosecution of trademark applications before the ISIPO, international filings, as well as representation before the EUIPO;
- watches and renewals;
- brand protection surveillance and clearance on the Internet;
- agreement drafting and execution; and
- handling of a large volume of appeal board cases.
Designs, domain names and copyright
Our team handles the registration and protection of designs, domain names and copyright globally. Services include:
- registration and prosecution of design applications before the ISIPO;
- filing and prosecution of international design registrations;
- domain name registrations;
- counterfeiting matters;
- enforcing and defending copyright claims;
- assistance relating to all types of copyright agreement and assignments of copyrighted work; and
- litigation of copyright-related matters.
IP portfolio administration, strategic advice and valuation
Our experienced and competent staff, supported by our efficient case management system, comprehensively manages and organises large-volume IP portfolios. Services include keeping all case records and watching all terms. We also offer services relating to IP management, including assisting clients with:
- overall IP strategy;
- mapping and watching IP portfolios and their competitors’ area of commercial interest; and
- enforcing IP rights.
There is an increasing demand on companies to incorporate IP rights into their accounts and annual reports and through collaborating partners we can assist you in appraising intellectual property.
The case between Iceland Foods (UK) and various industry and governmental organisations in Iceland has been ongoing for years. Arnason Faktor has been leading the case for over 10 years on behalf of the Icelandic authorities and organisations. The dispute currently revolves around trademark registrations owned by Iceland Foods, including an EU trademark, that use the name ‘Iceland’ as part of the mark. The matter is currently pending before the Board of Appeal after the EUIPO declared the EU trademark invalid in its entirety, thus upholding the Icelandic entities’ claims.
- Ásdís Magnúsdóttir, Partner
Sample client list
- Blue Lagoon
- Icelandic TM Hold
- Orf Genetics