A Zalesov & Partners Patent & Law Firm
A Zalesov & Partners is a full-service IP law firm that provides IP advice and handles the prosecution of patents, designs and trademarks before the Russian Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) and the Eurasian Patent Office, and the litigation of these rights before the Russian courts and administrative bodies.
The firm is home to 27 professionals, including 13 patent and trademark attorneys and 10 IP lawyers. The firm’s IP law and enforcement group, the trademark prosecution group and the patent prosecution department are strong, reliable and responsive; the latter group is further divided into a life sciences group, an IT and electronics group, and a mechanics and applied science group.
Years of experience handling patent and trademark disputes in various industries in Russia and abroad mean that the firm can give verified, practical advice on patent and trademark protection and enforcement strategy.
The team efficiently handles patent and trademark prosecution and patent and trademark validity disputes.
Every year the firm adds to its track record of successful outcomes. The firm thus recently obtained decisions and rulings that:
- implement the doctrine of ‘one source of goods origin’ into the practice of the PTO in the context of acknowledging the well-known status of a trademark;
- recognise that the burden of proof is spread between the PTO and the applicant in disputes relating to the prosecution of 3D trademarks;
- upheld the counterclaims of major international insurance company Allianz (which the firm represented) against a competitor’s attempt to take away its widely known ROSNO trademark;
- held that a semantic difference can be enough to avoid confusion between two marks only if one of them is a very well-known surname and the other is a toponym with roots in famous historical events;
- considered the legal consequences of wrong priority claims in an insulin glargine patent invalidation dispute; and
- highlighted the legal consequences of presenting non-reliable examples in a patent invalidation case based on non-inventiveness of a patent on a ‘new’ crystal form of the known competitor’s substance.
The firm has also secured several rulings that contribute to the implementation of the doctrine of equivalences in patent infringement disputes.
The team provides efficient IP enforcement and anti-counterfeiting services in Russia; it has successfully handled numerous court cases in different regions of the country, coordinated customs border measures and represented clients before unfair competition bodies.
The firm’s professionals have vast experience in IP law, combining IP litigation and prosecution services into one seamless package.
Client information is protected by all possible legal and technical means, including the status of our attorneys at law, which protects all client-attorney communication from disclosure requests.
The firm’s partners are frequent speakers at IP events in Russia and contributors to Russian and international publications and news outlets. Founder Aleksey Zalesov is a member of several consulting boards for governmental bodies, which enables the team to be fully abreast of all legislative developments and participate in forming them.
A Zalesov & Partners’ professionals are active members of the Russian Chamber of Patent Attorneys and the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), INTA, the Licensing Executives Society and the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys. Dr Zalesov serves as vice president of the Russian Chamber of Patent Attorneys and vice president of the Russian National Group of AIPPI, while Irina Ozolina serves as secretary of the Russian National Group of AIPPI.
The firm moved in 2020 to new, spacious and beautiful offices on the firm’s own estate, enabling the recruitment of new professionals into the team.