This week we published the findings of a major new investigation which identified over 6,800 trademarks and 6,900 domain names that appear to be related to multi-millionaire and serial trademark filer Michael Gleissner. For our latest delve into WTR’s unrivalled archive of trademark content, we present a selection of data-driven intelligence pieces from the past few years.
The start of the Gleissner story (August 2016)
This is where the Gleissner files began – a single UDRP dispute leading to WTR uncovering over 1,000 company names that had been personally registered by the entrepreneur at UK Companies House, with the same entities used in more than 250 filings at the USPTO. Hundreds of marks were also discovered in other jurisdictions outside the United States, which we published in a 22-page document illustrating the breadth of the filing programme. Read more here.
China’s trademark rise (April 2018)
After applications at the China Trademark Office broke through the 5 million barrier in 2017 (one market expert telling us: “The growth rate is remarkable, but just as remarkable is the fact that the Chinese register saw more applications in 2017 than all the other registers in the world combined”), we explored the domestic landscape and considered how the office was coping with demand. We also noted that, while filing activity had been prolific within Chinese borders, the data was equally striking when looking at the activity of Chinese applicants abroad. In the time since, the pace of Chinese applications at registers around the world has only escalated. Read more here.
Mining for brand expansion (March 2019)
After Barrick Gold launched a hostile bid to acquire long-time rival Newmont Mining, we examined brand valuation and filing data relating to the mining industry, analysing the role – or lack thereof – that trademarks and brands play in the strategic management of the world’s largest mining companies. Read more here.
Learning from the unicorns (July 2019)
For the cover story of WTR 80, we focused on the trademark strategies utilised by the world’s most successful unicorns, uncovering the extent of their brand portfolios, considering how these may have contributed to their rapid growth and shedding light on some of the reasons why trademarks are often overlooked by SMEs. Read more here.
Krafting trademark success (June 2020)
After a difficult 2019, Kraft Heinz – one of the world’s largest food and beverage companies – posted sales growth of 3.2% in the first quarter of 2020. Following that positive news, we explored how coronavirus-induced lockdowns helped to boost the company’s top line, presented a breakdown of its trademark portfolio and argued that the launch of a licensing programme would help it to raise cash to invest in its ongoing transformation strategy. Read more here.
Knowledge is power (July 2020)
Venue selection is one of the most important considerations when litigating in China. This analysis of more than 11,000 court judgments issued in 2019, conducted exclusively for WTR, provides critical insight, which in turn allows for more nuanced strategic enforcement decisions. Read more here.
Other instalments in the ‘From the WTR archive’ series:
- Five exclusive interviews with corporate brand leaders. Read more here.
- Raising the profile of the trademark function. Read more here.
- The Michael Gleissner mystery. Read more here.
- Brand valuation challenges and opportunities. Read more here .
- INTA Annual Meeting highlights. Read more here.
- When brands enter the corridors of power. Read more here.
- Managing trademarks during a budget squeeze. Read more here.
- Inside high-profile brand battles. Read more here.
- Trademark transactions. Read more here.
- Finding the right tools for the job. Read more here.
- Brand stories. Read more here.
- The trademark implications of emerging tech. Read more here.
- The trademark bullying debate. Read more here.
- Inside in-house operations. Read more here.
- In the beginning. Read more here.
- Private investigations. Read more here.
- Law firm management. Read more here.
- IP office insights. Read more here.
- A snapshot of trademarks a decade ago. Read more here.
- Career opportunities. Read more here.
- Industry predictions (that we got right and wrong). Read more here.
- Managing brand reputation in volatile times. Read more here.
- Media misreporting of trademarks. Read more here.
- Brand creation and protection best practice tips. Read more here.
- The rush to capitalise on movements and tragedies. Read more here.
- Brand management tips from award-winning teams. Read more here.
- When brands get creative in enforcement and education efforts. Read more here.
- The IP and marketing nexus. Read more here.
- Association insights. Read more here.
- Inside technology brands. Read more here.
- Exclusive research. Read more here.
- Getting buy-in from the C-suite. Read more here.
- The decade-long battle over plain packaging. Read more here.
- Inside pharmaceutical brands. Read more here.
- E-commerce and social media IP protection efforts. Read more here.