WTR award winner exclusives; law firm gender pay disparity; key legal updates; and much more
Everything we covered on WTR over the past seven days – and all you need to know from the world of trademarks to set yourself up for the start of another busy week.
The Long Read
Data analysis of recent gender pay gap reports from top trademark firms reveals a worrying trend across the legal industry.
Exclusive insights from WTR Industry Award winners
This week WTR has been publishing a special series profiling the corporate trademark teams recognised as the winners of the 2022 WTR Industry Awards.
With exclusive insight from those tasked with protecting some of the world’s biggest brands, the first half of the series is available here:
- “Do not be afraid to take risks” – In-House Leader of the Year, Debra Hughes
- Patience, creativity and determination – Asia-Pacific Team of the Year, The LEGO Group
- A global outlook and resolve to do good – Financial and Professional Services Team of the Year, Mastercard
- “Anticipation is key” – Healthcare and Life Sciences Team of the Year, Novartis
- Zero-tolerance on infringement – Internet and Telecommunications Team of the Year, Verizon
- Managing household brands – Latin America Team of the Year, Industrias AIEn
- Collaboration and evolution – North America Team of the Year, Phillips 66
- The importance of networks – Not-for-Profit Organisation Team of the Year, Rotary International
- Navigating choppy waters – Travel and Leisure Team of the Year, Marriott International
- Building an auto brand – Vehicles and Transport Team of the Year, Rivian
Elsewhere on WTR this week…
Monday 25 July
Valuation of intangible assets will be a focus in Asia, says the CEO of the International Valuation Standards Council.
- CNIPA releases draft measures on collective and certification marks for public comment (China)
- Peruvian Trademark Office protects Dora the Explorer (Peru)
Tuesday 26 July
Recent Europe, Middle East and Africa rulings include a blow for Apple, L’Oréal, FIFA and Puma.
An edible cannabis company is fined $2 million, US scout groups settle their dispute, Anaqua heads to Northern Ireland, and more.
- Apex court rules that import and distribution of products meant for foreign jurisdiction constitute infringement and passing off (Malaysia)
- Applicability and apportionment of general overheads in an account of profits: a pursuit of the "least unrealistic" outcome (United Kingdom)
Wednesday 27 July
Old tricks and new approaches come to light in five Asia-Pacific Legal Updates.
Experts at ResMed reveal how the patent and trademark teams collaborate to succeed.
- ”Draft Provisions on Prohibiting the Abuse of IP Rights to Exclude and Restrict Competition” released for public consultation (China)
- A catfight before the General Court (European Union)
Thursday 28 July
We release the enhanced 2022 WTR 300.
Chanel, Coca-Cola and Mercado Libre feature in Legal Updates from the Americas that you may have missed.
- The SPINNING mark is still rolling (European Union)
- Supreme Court: importation of Schweppes products from Ukraine infringes SCHWEPPES trademark (Israel)
- Supreme Court elevates copyright infringement to a serious non-bailable offence (Market Insight: India)
- A rising football star’s identity trademark strategy (Market Insight: Poland)
Friday 29 July
Kathi Vidal expands on pendency at the USPTO, Bugatti reveals its new brand identity, Edelman publishes Gen-Z brand trust insights, and more.
- “My money don’t jiggle, jiggle’’ for failed TIK TOK appeal (United Kingdom)
- Intellectual Property Law further amended – what you need to know (Vietnam)
Saturday 30 July
Anaqua’s Joseph Bichanich suggests five tips for retaining IP talent during ‘the great resignation’.
WTR Special Report: a data deep dive into the trademark landscape
WTR’s latest Special Report presents a data deep dive into the trademark landscape – revealing the biggest portfolio owners, insight from our annual benchmarking survey and US litigation patterns.