‘.pl’ domain names see highest growth rate

Poland
Naukowa i Akademicka Siec Komputerowa (Research and Academic Computer Network), better known as NASK, is the registry responsible for the Polish country-code top-level domain (ccTLD), ‘.pl’. It recently published its third quarterly report for 2011, which indicates that things are looking rosy for ‘.pl’ domain names.
 
The report states that, across the European ccTLDs, ‘.pl’ and ‘.fr’ (France) have seen the highest rise in numbers over the last 12 months, closely followed by ‘.nl’ (Netherlands), ‘.it’ (Italy) and ‘.es’ (Spain).
 
According to the report, the ranking of European ccTLDs at the end of the third quarter of 2011 had not changed and ‘.de’ (Germany) was still the ccTLD to beat, with ‘.uk’ (United Kingdom) a long way behind in second place with 9.6 million domain names (as opposed to Germany's 14.6 million). Poland was fifth overall with just over 2.2 million domain names registered, after ‘.de’, ‘.uk’, ‘.nl’ and ‘.it’.
 
‘.pl’ is the ccTLD that has seen the highest growth rate, with 59% of domain names being renewed in the third quarter of 2011, the highest increase noted over the last two years. The percentage of domain names that are renewed after their initial registration is a useful indication of the strength of a ccTLD.
 
The report also indicates that 96% of ‘.pl’ domain names were registered to Polish-based entities in the third quarter of 2011. Among the remaining 4%, there were 1,812 registrations done by registrars based in Germany, 1,319 in the United States, 1,214 in Great Britain, 851 in Cyprus, 402 to in the Czech Republic and 300 in France, the Netherlands and Georgia. Sweden and Indonesia followed with 254 and 141 registrations, respectively.
 
David Taylor and Jane Seager, Hogan Lovells LLP, Paris

Get unlimited access to all WTR content