E-filing for trademark applications launched
Legal updates: case law analysis and intelligence
With effect from January 20 2009, trademark applications can be filed electronically in China.
According to the Trial Measures for Electronic Filing of Trademarks which took effect on that date, e-filing is not currently available for the following types of application:
- applications with priority claims;
- applications for collective trademarks;
- applications for certification trademarks;
- applications for trademarks consisting of personal portraits;
- applications for goods or services not covered by the Similar Goods/Services Classification Table published by the Chinese Trademark Office;
- applications filed by foreign individuals or entities not yet represented by any local trademark agent; and
- any trademark application where e-filing is not appropriate.
A trademark application is deemed to have been filed successfully following submission of the prescribed application form and payment of the application fees. The filing date is the date on which the trademark application is filed successfully.
At present, e-filing is limited to applications and is not available for other transactions relating to trademarks.
Mena Lo, Wilkinson & Grist, Hong Kong
Copyright © Law Business ResearchCompany Number: 03281866 VAT: GB 160 7529 10