Concern over WHOIS proposals; Trademark Plus responds to criticism; Global IP Awards 2022 winners; and much more
Everything we covered on WTR over the past seven days – and all you need to know from the world of trademarks to set yourself up for the start of another busy week.
Do you have a spare five minutes? WTR wants to hear your views on diversity and inclusion in the trademark industry as part of a new, free survey.
The Long Read
In WTR’s annual Asia-Pacific deep dive, we reveal the top corporate and law firm filers across five key jurisdictions.
Monday 12 September
WTR speaks to the rights holders caught up in Raffel v Man Wah to find out how a counterfeiting dispute sparked a war of words in the trade press.
Leaders from the world’s biggest IP offices discuss AI, the metaverse and technological challenges at IP Week @ SG 2022.
- Supreme Court confirms compensation of over €500,000 for using competitor’s trademark as AdWord (Spain)
- Veil piercing under Lanham Act requires specific showing of liability (United States)
Tuesday 13 September
Iceland and Iceland return to court, the USPTO threatens to terminate 13,000 marks, Ford heads to the metaverse, and more.
We pinpoint the 10 counterfeit hotspots in China that every brand owner should know about.
- General Court: EUIPO can ignore absolute ground for invalidity if relative ground is sufficient (European Union)
- Domino match: complainant fails to prove bad-faith registration and use (International)
Wednesday 14 September
WTR reflects on the key takeaways from IP Week @ SG 2022.
A free speech debate erupts after a controversial decision on the trademark TRUMP TOO SMALL.
- BUENOS AIRES held to be registrable for products in Class 32 (Argentina)
- Lavender wins against ‘unfragrant’ infringer (Indonesia)
Thursday 15 September
A metaverse dystopia, UDRP tips and diversity in brand protection are among the talking points of WTR’s Online Brand Protection Europe.
A WHOIS disclosure report sparks concern as ICANN75 looms
- Crocs Inc prevails in long-running fight to protect its Classic Clog (Peru)
- IP-related decrees and circulars to be revised or replaced after amended IP Law is enacted (Vietnam)
- E-commerce platform’s suggested-seller function leads to finding of passing of (Market Insight: India)
- Louis Vuitton’s metaverse-related trademark registrations offer valuable insight (Market Insight: Poland)
- Taiwan IP Office updates examination guidelines for the digital age (Market Insight: Taiwan)
- Superior common law rights in South Carolina defeat infringement claims (Market Insight: United States)
Friday 16 September
The winners of the Global IP Awards 2022 are revealed.
A representative for low-cost IP agency Trademark Plus has defended its operations in an exclusive interview with WTR.
BRANDIT’s chief business officer explained why, and how, the firm established an office in the metaverse.
Mattel drops BARBIE-QUE dispute, Tarantino and Miramax settle dispute, Starbucks launches Web3 experience, and more.
- Seal of disapproval: TTAB refuses registration of county logos (United States)
- V versus V: assessment of similarity between one-letter trademarks (Turkey)
Saturday 17 September
The USPTO is currently fighting fraud on three fronts. Two recent developments could be set to provide a boost to the office’s efforts, argues our Saturday opinion.
WTR Special Report: a data deep dive into the trademark landscape
WTR’s latest Special Report presents a data deep dive into the trademark landscape – revealing the biggest portfolio owners, insight from our annual benchmarking survey and US litigation patterns.