Best-in-class, INTA memories and Manchester United’s brand building: top stories you may have missed
With IP conferences in full swing, the second quarter of the year is always a busy period for trademark practitioners and brand professionals. WTR has been keeping pace with the latest developments to deliver the news, data and analysis that brand owners, law firms and service providers need to stay ahead.
Here, we crunch the numbers to reveal the most-read articles of Q2 2023.
In May, we hosted the 2023 WTR Industry Awards, shining a spotlight on the corporate teams and individuals that have truly made a difference in the brand protection space over the past year. The shortlist was announced a month earlier, and a thirst among readers to know who had made the cut propelled it to our most-read article of the quarter. Unsurprisingly, interest was just as high when we announced the winners at an exclusive reception in Singapore.
The event took place mid-way through this year’s INTA Annual Meeting. Four WTR reporters were among the almost 8,000 delegates in town for the event, and our highlights from the week were a hit with those in the Lion City and those who could not make the journey. Our most popular pieces covered IP valuation, influencer tips and a local counterfeit market, support for Brand Action, and an unofficial guide to the city. We even rounded out the week with our own unofficial awards for, among other things, the best reception and the most unexpected sight.
Elsewhere this quarter, Manchester United made the headlines when the club was crowned trademark world champion for having the biggest brand portfolio. IP practitioners read with alarm about a spoof USPTO website attempting to deceive users and with links to suspicious trademark filing platforms. And the so-called ‘Banksy of trademarks’ made his return to the market with plans to exhibit at this year’s Licensing Expo.
Top 15 most-read articles – Q2 2023
- WTR Industry Awards 2023: shortlisted teams and individuals unveiled
- Manchester United crowned trademark world champions, as Erling Haaland obtains first marks
- Demystifying IP valuation; influencer tips from Pepsico; fakes on Bugis Street – INTA 2023 day one report
- WTR award winners revealed: industry elite celebrates in Singapore
- Revealed: programme for New York brand strategy summit
- INTA Annual Meeting 2023: WTR’s unofficial guide to Singapore
- Use of reverse confusion theory proves increasingly popular
- Repeat showdowns between Swiggy and GoDaddy shed light on key aspects of intermediary liability
- Alarm as imitation USPTO website emerges, linked to suspicious filing platforms
- ‘The Banksy of trademarks is back’: controversial millionaire to exhibit at Vegas licensing expo
- Anti-counterfeiting strategy playbook: WTR Special Report out now
- In-house lawyers lend their support to Brand Action event in Singapore
- WTR’s INTA highlights: remembering the 2023 Annual Meeting through 17 unofficial awards
- Why tried and tested tactics will still protect brands in the metaverse – for now
- How evolving regulations are affecting trademark registrations related to NFTS and virtual goods and services in 2023