Abitron ruling; Google policy change; USPTO imitation site; and much more
Everything we covered on WTR over the past seven days, and all you need to know from the world of trademarks to set yourself up for the start of another busy week.
Monday 26 June
A “surprise” amendment to the EU Artificial Intelligence Act strengthens copyright enforcement against Generative AI, but IP issues remain.
EUIPO deputy executive director Andrea Di Carlo presents an update on the SME Fund and how it is evolving in 2023.
- CJEU interprets VAT Directive in case involving trademark assignment (European Union)
- Two ‘tickets’ to UDRP denial (International)
Tuesday 27 June
The EUIPO unveils its new-look website, Uber and Lyft file a joint lawsuit, trademark complaints increase in Saudi Arabia, and more.
ICANN77 sees “steady progress” towards the next round of new gTLDs, as well as providing updates on access to WHOIS data and DNS abuse.
- INDECOPI approves 25% reduction in official registration fees for small businesses (Peru)
- TTAB confirms that building design marks lack distinctiveness (United States)
- Wednesday 28 June
A WTR investigation uncovers an imitation USPTO website with links to suspicious trademark filing platforms.
“Terrible” team restructuring news raises concerns over IP protection efforts on e-commerce platform Lazada.
- General Court: no risk of confusion between RAVE THE PLANET and PLANETE+ (European Union)
- Electra powers Second Circuit’s false endorsement analysis (United States)
Thursday 29 June
Emerging tech and electric cars shake up the brand landscape in Clarivate's 2023 Top 100 New Brands report.
International trademark experts share advice on how firms can recruit, hire and support diverse talent.
- General Court provides guidance on meaning of 'component' under Community Design Regulation (European Union)
- The future of trademarks in Iran: what you need to know (Iran)
- TURKPATENT sheds a new light on ‘immaterial details’ following syringe design appeal (Market Insight: Turkey)
- TRUMP TOO SMALL heads to Supreme Court for free speech review (Market Insight: United States)
Friday 30 June
The US Supreme Court’s Abitron ruling clarifies the extraterritorial reach of the Lanham Act, but key questions remain.
Friday’s news digest features Operation Vulcan, Mattel opposing Burberry, the Brazilian Association of Intellectual Property’s 43rd International Congress, and more.
Google’s new policy update will create more work for trademark owners, practitioners warn.
WIPO pledges increased focus on creating “a balanced, inclusive system”.
- Draft amendment to the Trademark Law: bringing relief to brand owners (China)
- Jaquar successfully asserts rights in ARTIZE mark over Villeroy Boch (India)
Saturday 1 July
World-class brands join the speaker line-up for WTR’s upcoming Brand Strategy Summit USA.
Anti-counterfeiting strategy playbook
WTR’s “Anti-counterfeiting strategy playbook” sees brand experts, e-commerce platforms, law enforcement authorities and IP offices come together to reveal the systems in place to help IP owners combat the growing trade in fake goods.