Attorney - HSM IP
Sophie Davies’s practice includes IP protection, enforcement and dispute resolution, specialising in the Caribbean. She manages a team of highly skilled, professional IP paralegals and oversees the full breadth of IP prosecution work.
Ms Davies joined HSM IP in 2015 after working as a solicitor specialising in IP litigation at King & Wood Mallesons’ London office (formerly SJ Berwin) since 2010. She completed her training contract at SJ Berwin between 2008 and 2010 undertaking seats in the finance, media (with a focus on film finance), IP and corporate departments, and at Parliament under the supervision of Jonathan Djanogly MP.
Ms Davies’s responsibilities include portfolio management, advising clients (on matters of trademark, copyright, design and patent law), drafting and reviewing assignments, licences and settlement agreements and handling IP-related disputes.
Ms Davies works on the Cayman Islands government committees responsible for drafting IP legislation. She co-led a workshop for local enforcement agencies concerning the impact of copyright legislation in the Cayman Islands, and presents on IP matters at the Cayman Islands Chamber of Commerce and before the Cayman Bar Association.
Ms Davies contributes regularly to World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR), World Trademark Review online, Kluwer Brown Books, and Trademarks Throughout the World, and is interviewed regularly on Cayman 27 and by the Cayman Compass.
Ms Davies has recently authored the following:
- “Registered design right protection coming to the Cayman Islands” – WIPR (October 2016);
- “A guide to trademarks in the Caribbean – WIPR” (May 2016);
- “Critically needed: intellectual property modernisation and reform in the Cayman Islands” – Cayman Financial Review (January 2016); and
- “Hot Topic: Cuba and US brand owners” – Institute of Trademark Attorneys Review (September 2015).
Ms Davies’s qualifications are:
- a postgraduate diploma in IP law – University of Oxford;
- the Legal Practice Course – BPP Law School;
- a graduate diploma in law – BPP Law School; and
- an MA (hons) (Cantab) and BA (hons) (Cantab) (music).
Ms Davies was admitted to the Bars of England and Wales in 2010 and the Cayman Islands in 2015.
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email