Partner - JJ Roca & Asociados
Sharin Pablo de Roca heads the IP practice group. As a specialist in competition law and intellectual property, she advises a wide variety of clients in both regulated and non-regulated sectors of the economy.
Under her leadership, Roca has developed an intense IP practice. She has positioned the firm as one of the leading IP firms in the Caribbean region.
In December 2015, she was re-elected by her Dominican colleagues as national delegate for the Dominican Republic before the board of the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI) for the 2015-2018 term. She also serves as president of the ASIPI Competition Committee for the 2016-2019 term and as member of the Unfair Competition Committee of the International Trademark Association for the 2016-2017 term.
In March 2016, she was elected as president of the board of directors of the Dominican Association of Intellectual Property (ADOPI), after having served as board secretary (2010-2012), board treasurer (2012-2014), and first vice president (2014-2016).
Some of her articles include:
- “Nation Branding: The Registration of the Identity”, Anuario Dominicano de Propiedad Intelectual (2016);
- “Competition and IP at a Crossroad: Compulsory Licensing for Anticompetitive Practices in the Dominican Republic”, Patent Lawyer Magazine (March-April 2016);
- “Unfair Competition and Intellectual Property”, Gaceta Judicial (April 2015);
- “Registration of Non-Traditional Trademarks”, World Intellectual Property Review (September-October 2012);
- “Registration and Renewal Process for Trade Names”, World Intellectual Property Review (WIPR) (May-June 2012);
- “Keeping it Simple: New Trademark Treaty”, WIPR, (March-April 2012);
- “Trademark Law Treaty Now a Reality”, WIPR, (January-February 2012);
- “Fluids Marks: Risk or Opportunity?” special issue on intellectual property, Gaceta Judicial, ADOPI, (April 2011);
- “Competition Law in License and Technology Transfer Agreements”, special issue on intellectual property, Gaceta Judicial, ADOPI, (April 2010);
- “Competition and Intellectual Property: A Delicate Balance”, Gaceta Judicial (April 2009); and
- “Towards a Competition Policy in the Dominican Republic”, Latin American Competition Bulletin (May 1999).
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email