Partner - Archer & Greiner PC
Ronald D Coleman has shaped the law relating to the use and abuse of intellectual property as a tool of competition. A leader in social media for lawyers, he maintains a blog about copyright, trademark and free speech, Likelihood of Confusion, which is one of the most influential publications in IP law.
Mr Coleman’s recent representations include:
- vindicating the rights of review websites that were threatened with IP infringement claims to intimidate them into removing legally protected information or commentary;
- coordinating the investigation of and legal response to fraudulent websites impersonating the website of a commercial client;
- defending a national figure against IP claims arising out of her brief use of a famous photograph on Facebook; and
- leading the appellate effort to overturn the US Patent and Trademark Office’s refusal to register trademarks that it finds “may disparage” ethnic or racial constituencies.
Mr Coleman wrote the first article on internet law in the ABA Journal (1995). More recently, his chapter on the interplay between the rights of publicity and trademarks was included in In the Arena: A Sports Law Handbook. Other publications include articles in the Computer and Internet Law Journal, the New York State Bar Association Journal and the New Jersey Law Journal. Mr Coleman has been a featured speaker at a host of legal conferences, including those of the International Trademark Association, the New York City Bar Association, the Copyright Society of the United States, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Intellectual Property Owners Association, the Ohio IP Society, the Minnesota Board of Continuing Legal Education and the Berkman Centre for Internet and Society at Harvard.
Mr Coleman has represented clients of every size in state and federal courts, bench and jury trials, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board hearings and arbitrations and mediations throughout the country. He has also been retained as an expert on trademark law and practice in professional liability litigation. A graduate of Princeton University, he received his JD from Northwestern University School of Law.
Sample client list
- Humble Abode
- Mesorah Publications (Artscroll)
- OTR Media
- Sarah Palin
- Simon Tam (The Slants).
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email