Lee & Ko’s IP team provides a full range of trademark services – including trademark prosecution, trial and dispute resolution and advice on corporate portfolio management strategy – to clients across many regions, including Korea, the United States, Europe and Japan.
We make it our highest priority to build lasting relationships with our clients by being responsive to each client’s specific needs in every matter entrusted to us. Following this approach, Lee & Ko has a well-earned reputation for successfully handling landmark matters in many of the most important transactions and cases involving business in Korea and around the world.
Lee & Ko provides one-stop service through a fully integrated team of legal experts with specialties including tax, fair trade laws, antitrust and competition matters, criminal enforcement and defence and corporate practice to best protect our clients’ trademarks, brand images and worldwide reputations.
Lee & Ko has experience representing multinational clients in landmark IP cases in Korea and around the world, including:
- GlaxoSmithKline v Sandoz – successfully defended Sandoz and defeated GlaxoSmithKline’s trade dress and unfair competition allegations directed at Sandoz’s market-leading asthma treatment device for Seretide;
- King.com v Avocado Entertainment – successfully enjoined Avocado, a Korean game developer, from operating and servicing its mobile game that imitated King.com’s famous mobile games, Candy Crush Saga andFarm Hero Saga, in the first instance;
- Samsung v Apple – successfully represented Samsung and Google in Korea during the global smartphone wars;
- Jack Daniel’s Properties Inc – successfully managed over a dozen invalidation and cancellation actions in Korea to remove unauthorised registrations by free-riders in Korea attempting to gain unfair advantage from Jack Daniel’s’ worldwide fame and reputation;
- Lacoste v Crocodile – successfully represented Lacoste up to the Korean Supreme Court in cancellation proceedings following Singapore arbitration proceedings and global settlement negotiations;
- Oriental Brewery Co Ltd – successfully represented the largest beer company in Korea to provide strategic counselling for over 1,000 trademarks in Korea; and
- Prada, Versace and Bally – successfully counselled these leading luxury brands regarding trademark dispute issues in Korea and brand protection strategies within the context of their individual global policies.
In recognition of the IP team’s recent accomplishments in Korea, Lee & Ko received the following awards:
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Tier 1 for intellectual property (2016);
- Chambers Asia Pacific – Band 1 for intellectual property (2016);
- IAM 1000 – gold for litigation and licensing (2016); and
- Managing Intellectual Property – Tier 1 for intellectual property (2016).
Lee & Ko was also selected as South Korea’s Contentious Law Firm of the Year by Managing Intellectual Property in 2015.
Lee & Ko’s IP team is a leading practice in Korea for unifying trademark management on behalf of multinational clients wishing to establish integrated management systems for corporate trademarks. Our counselling and strategic management clients include Samsung, Versace, LG Electronics, Hyundai Elevator and OB. We have particular experience in centralising and comprehensively managing the worldwide trademarks of Korean and international conglomerates.
Lee & Ko’s legal services are not limited to local practice, but also extend to other jurisdictions. We have advised and represented a number of clients in cross-border IP disputes in other jurisdictions, including the US federal courts (the Northern District of California, the Central District of California, the Eastern District of Texas, the Eastern District of Virginia and the Southern District of New York), the US International Trade Commission, the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and several European tribunals.
Lee & Ko
Eunwoo Lee, Partner
Beijing, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh
Sample client list
- ASICS Corp
- eBay Korea
- LG Group
- LG Household & Health Care
- Manda Fermentation
- Samsung C&T
- Samsung Electronics
- Tetris Holdings
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email