Stevens & Bolton LLP is a leading full-service law firm, with over 40 partners and 200 staff in total. We advise a number of the United Kingdom’s top FTSE 100 companies, as well as many other substantial UK and international groups, including a number of household names. We offer our clients a high quality alternative to firms in the City of London, as our location just outside London allows us to combine quality with cost effectiveness, delivering a better-value service. For international clients our proximity to Heathrow and Gatwick airports is also attractive. This year the firm was named ‘National/Regional Law Firm of the Year’ at the Legal Business Awards 2016 and runner up for ‘Regional Firm of the Year’ at The Lawyer Awards 2016.
Whatever the size and profile of our clients, they all expect the highest quality legal advice. In a recent survey our clients confirmed that that is what they get from Stevens & Bolton. They also highlighted other reasons why they like to work with us, including:
- a more committed and accessible partner-led service;
- down-to-earth and commercially aware advice;
- consistency of approach and team continuity; and
- better value.
Our IP team is one of the leading IP practices outside London and is top ranked by all of the main legal directories. The team advises on the full range of contentious and non-contentious IP matters, including the following key practice areas:
- trademark infringement and passing-off actions;
- trademark licences and assignments;
- franchising, including direct single unit franchising, area development agreements and master franchise agreements and licensing;
- advising on the exploitation of IP rights generally, including image rights agreements, music technology licensing and distribution and media contracts;
- corporate transactions involving brands, including intra-group licensing and assignment of rights, mergers, acquisitions, financings and joint ventures; and
- copyright issues and media contracts.
The team advises businesses across numerous sectors, including technology, media and telecommunications, life sciences, food and drink, fashion and retail. Recent examples of our work include:
- representing Brighton & Hove Albion FC in relation to a dispute with Whitehawk FC, over the latter’s plans to change its name to Brighton City FC;
- representing an international fashion and fragrance company Antonio Puig SA in relation to the high-value acquisition of trademarks and licensing arrangements;
- representing Vulpine, a high-end cycling brand, in a range of trademark and brand protection issues, including disputes with sportswear and fashion companies;
- representing a leading global fashion brand in relation to several trademark issues, including a dispute with a luxury swimwear manufacturer and trademark opposition proceedings;
- representing Rackspace, one of the world’s leading managed hosting companies, in trademark infringement proceedings in the High Court concerning comparative advertising and in related proceedings seeking declaratory relief;
- advising a prestigious online introduction agency on its roll-out licence programme in Amsterdam, France, Luxembourg and Italy;
- advising TM Lewin on its international development programme;
- advising a client on an image rights and product endorsement contract for plantation shutters and other shutter products with a well-known TV personality; and
- advising a client specialising in high-end superior audio technology products on the sale and licence of cutting-edge proprietary audio technology software to a joint venture company and the onward commercial licensing of the audio technology through multiple licensing channels.
- A “powerhouse” and “a good, strong firm that we always go to for complex and international work. They have a City-quality practice that just happens to be based in Guildford” – Chambers UK.
- “Their IP team is extremely efficient and reliable. They are very professional” and “The quality of their work is first-class; they respond promptly and keep you advised of costs” – Chambers UK.
- “The impressive Stevens & Bolton LLP – a forward-looking and dynamic firm with a client list to match” – Legal 500.
Stevens & Bolton LLP
Tom Lingard, Partner
Nicola Broadhurst, Partner
Charlotte Tillett, Partner
Sample client list
- Accolade Wines
- Brighton & Hove Albion FC
- Future Publishing
- Papa John’s
- TGI Fridays
- TM Lewin
Recommended individuals at this firm
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email