Foreign Counsel - Spoor & Fisher
Kay Rickelman is the foreign counsel in Spoor & Fisher’s Centurion office, with more than 27 years’ experience in both the United States and South Africa. Her fields of practice include domestic and international trademark registrations, searches and clearance, as well as international trademark litigation. She specialises in portfolio management and overseeing the needs of many large international companies with regard to their trademarks in Africa and abroad. As the firm’s foreign trademark counsel, she also specialises in obtaining and enforcing trademark protection in foreign countries.
Ms Rickelman obtained a BS (cum laude) with distinction in psychology and a JD through the University of Illinois, and is a licensed attorney in the state of Illinois. She also belongs to the federal district court, the Northern District of Illinois, the US Court of Appeals and the Seventh Circuit.
Ms Rickelman is an associate member of the South African Institute of IP Law and has served on the following committees:
• the International Trademark Association (INTA) board of directors, 2009-2011 term;
• the INTA Leadership Development Committee, 2010-2012;
• the INTA Planning Committee, 2009-2010;
• the INTA Bulletin Committee – chair, 2008-2009; vice chair, 2007-2008;
• the INTA Sub-committee on Law and Practice in Africa and the Middle East – chair, 2003-2006;
• the University of Illinois Alumni Association board of directors, 2008-2012;
• the University of Illinois Alumni Association Audit Committee, 2008-2012; and
• the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law International Treaties Committee.
Spoor & Fisher has been a specialist IP firm since its formation in 1920. Today it has more than 50 lawyers and IP specialists, providing solutions across the full spectrum of intellectual property. The firm assists clients in obtaining and enforcing IP rights throughout the world through its close relationships with overseas IP agents and practitioners. It has close ties with registries and associates throughout the African continent.