Partner - Barker Brettell
Sarah Lait heads one of the largest trademark teams in the United Kingdom consisting of 25 trademark professionals and support staff, all of whom specialise exclusively in trademark work. She has extensive expertise handling matters before the UK Trademarks Registry, the EU Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) and the World Intellectual Property Organisation, including prosecution of applications, oppositions, cancellations, revocations and appeals. She also advises on:
- dispute management and resolution;
- policing and enforcement of trademark rights;
- licensing, franchising and assigning of trademark rights;
- portfolio management; and
- global filing strategies.
She is known for her practical, business-focused and cost-effective advice and has been recognised as an IP Star by Managing Intellectual Property.
Ms Lait acts for FTSE 100 companies and large UK businesses, as well as leading Russell Group Universities. She is the trademark lead partner for Barker Brettell’s university sector group and advises several universities on various trademark matters, including:
- consistent and correct use of names, trademarks, house style and get-up;
- overseas expansion and alliances;
- strategy for search and registration;
- trademark and domain name watching services worldwide; and
- in-house training, seminars and briefings.
Ms Lait joined Barker Brettell in 1986, qualified as a trademark attorney in 1990, became a partner in 1995 and assumed responsibility for the trademark department in 2002. She has over 25 years’ experience in all areas of trademark work and brings invaluable skills and expertise to handling client portfolios, particularly with third-party negotiations and settlements. Ms Lait is a member of the UK Institute of Trademark Attorneys and the International Trademark Association, as well as being a EUIPO representative. An honours graduate in French and business studies, Ms Lait has a reading knowledge of Italian and German and additional qualifications in international marketing and European Community law.
Sample client list
- Aga Rangemaster/Fired Earth
- Archer Daniels Midland Co
- Fosroc International
- Julien Macdonald Ltd
- Severn Trent
- University of Nottingham
- University of Warwick
100 Hagley Road
Birmingham B16 8QQ
Register for more free content
- Read more World Trademark Review blogs and articles
- Receive the editor's weekly review by email