Director - Amica Law LLC
Winnie Tham is a director of Amica Law LLC, with more than 18 years' experience in the field of intellectual property. Her expertise covers a broad spectrum of IP work, although she specialises in the protection and management of intellectual property in Singapore and overseas, encompassing trademarks, patents and designs.
This role includes:
• advising on legal aspects of, and strategies for, IP protection for new brands, products, inventions and designs;
• conducting trademark, patent and design searches, evaluating the results and making recommendations;
• coordinating the filing and prosecution of patents, trademarks and designs;
• supervising the maintenance and renewal of IP rights; directing IP audits and due diligence;
• coordinating global IP filing programmes for local and international companies; and
• undertaking transactional matters.
With her background in life sciences, Ms Tham is well placed to advise on the regulatory aspects of pharmaceuticals.
Ms Tham handles contentious matters at registry and court level, including trademark oppositions, and trademark and patent invalidation and revocation actions.
As well as being a registered patent agent in Singapore, Ms Tham is an advocate and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore. She was called to the Bar of the Supreme Court of Victoria in 1991 and to the Singapore Bar in 1993. In addition to her LLB (hons), Ms Tham holds a BSc, having majored in pharmacology with a minor in biochemistry. She sits on the executive committees of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property and the Asian Patent Attorneys Association. For many years Ms Tham was also a member of the Patent Examination Committee of the Board of Patent Examiners, being involved in the setting and marking of examinations. She is currently vice chair of the International Trademark Association's East Asia and Pacific Sub-committee for Famous and Well-Known Marks.