Managing Partner - Inttl Advocare
Hemant Singh is a well-known IP litigator in India, as well as managing partner and founder member of leading IP law firm Inttl Advocare – IP Attorneys. He joined the Bar in 1984 and has practised exclusively in the field of IP rights ever since. He has been involved in significant judicial pronouncements emanating from various courts in India. Under Mr Singh's leadership, Inttl Advocare has grown steadily and has attracted both a national and international clientele. He has handled over 1,400 IP litigations in various courts and has argued complex legal issues in the IP field, such as:
• what constitutes prior use for an overseas brand owner;
• trademark use in an ancillary industry falling within permitted use and exceptions to infringement;
• inventive step and the obviousness test for valid patents;
• the exclusion of a functional and utilitarian shape as a trademark;
• an injunction against the parallel import of goods in India
• proprietary rights in respect of generic and descriptive marks;
• the requirement of compliance with the principles of natural justice in a case involving the renewal of lapsed trademark registrations; and
• estoppel against a licensee challenging the proprietary right of a licensor.
Mr Singh is chairman of the IP Committee of the oldest Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India, and is involved in various ongoing debates and deliberations to strengthen IP protection and enforcement in India. He is a keen participant in several trademark and trade name sub-committees of several IP rights bodies, including the International Trademark Association and the Asian Patent Attorneys Association. He has also authored several articles published in various IP magazines worldwide and has spoken on IP topics in various countries. Mr Singh is a registered patent agent and is involved in number of patent litigations involving complex patent issues.
Express Trade Tower