Founded in 1941 and with its headquarters in Madrid, Spain, Garrigues is currently the largest legal advisory services firm in continental Europe. Garrigues provides fullservice legal and tax advice in virtually every area of practice. Its integrated approach allows the firm to provide clients with a full perspective combining transactional, regulatory and tax implications. Garrigues services a broad range of clients, from Spanish and Portuguese listed companies to foreign multinationals and small and medium-sized enterprises.
The firm boasts an unparalleled domestic network with 28 offices across Spain, and an outstanding international presence through its offices in Brussels, Casablanca, Lisbon, London, New York, Oporto, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Tangiers and Warsaw.
Garrigues is consistently ranked as a top-tier firm by the major international directories, including Chambers & Partners, which in 2009 crowned it Law Firm of the Year in Spain. Garrigues was also named European Law Firm of the Year and Law Firm of the Year in Iberia at The Lawyer European Awards 2009. In 2010 Garrigues picked up the International Firm of the Year award at The Lawyer Awards, as well as the International Financial Law Review prize for Law Firm of the Year in Spain. It was found to be the Most Innovative Law Firm in Continental Europe at the 2008, 2011 and 2012 Financial Times Innovative Lawyers Awards.
Garrigues’ IP arm, Garrigues IP, is a multi-disciplinary and multilingual team made up of 50 highly qualified professionals headed by João Miranda de Sousa, a dualqualified lawyer (Spain and Portugal). The practice draws on the knowledge, experience, creativity and proactivity of its lawyers and on the expertise of its technical associates in disciplines such as biochemistry and telecommunications. The practice has developed particularly strong expertise in the areas of Community trademark and Community design prosecution and enforcement. It also excels in providing IP advice on internet-related issues, internet-based social networks, image, privacy and reputation rights. The range of industries that Garrigues IP represents includes sports and entertainment, automotive, telecommunications and media, computers and software, pharmaceuticals, financial services, biotechnology, energy, fashion, food and beverages.
Garrigues’ IP professionals are located in Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Bilbao, Valencia, Alicante and Shanghai, as part of a firm that enjoys a global reputation and has the capacity and resources to deliver services anywhere in the world. Garrigues IP benefits from close working relationships with the full-service firm's other practices.
Garrigues IP offers:
• a mixture of services combining the management and processing of patent, trademark and design complex portfolios with strategic advice and assistance in court proceedings regarding the infringement, validity and ownership of IP rights;
• top-quality advice from highly qualified professionals, many of whom come from the most prestigious international IP institutions;
• complete reliability and maximum cost savings in the management of IP portfolios through a proprietary technology that efficiently processes patent, trademark and design files;
• a collaborative internet-based platform for sharing and communicating orders and actions with clients;
• seven areas of expertise - trademarks, patents, advertising, designs, unfair competition, copyrights and related rights, image and reputation;
• IP litigation lawyers with experience in developing international procedural strategies who can coordinate with law firms in different jurisdictions;
• assistance and advice in Chinese IP matters through a team of experts located in Shanghai; and
• solid experience in negotiating complex IP rights licences and related agreements.
João Miranda de Sousa, Global head of IP practice